1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Steve Huff EM5 First Look

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Apr 20, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    And to think the phoblopgrapher just stated that the nex7 was better than the em5 for video ;) oh, wait, it was because they hear they use Sony cameras on movie sets... Where is my eye roll?!

- Eliot

• Like Like x 1
  3. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I don't care how good a camera is at resolving details and clean images if its a small camera it had better be fast and accurate and that is where the NEX-7 fails. Who cares if the camera has all these cool specs if you end up missing photos. Same with the Fuji.

I like small cameras that are fast and feel that Olympus really hit the sweet spot with the current gen of Pens and the OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If its better on a tripod with set up lighting, I don't care.....

If it works well for me with a wrist strap and natural light while I'm walking around my daily nonsense, great!:D

- Eliot

• Like Like x 1
  6. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Cool that Huff did a jpeg test but jpeg is not a true test of sensor output. If you're not shooting raw you're not getting the most from your camera and learning Lighroom or Aperture takes very little time. If you don't shoot raw I encourage you to do so.

In LR4 you can now paint away your noise in areas if it bothers you and keep the noise in detail areas where you wont see it as much.

I like to shoot raw + small jpeg and keep the raws for processing and use the jpegs to transfer wirelessly to my iphone or ipad for client review.

I'm almost done developing a work flow for Micro 4/3 cameras and will post it up soon. A solid workflow is one of the challenges I'm overcoming using my Olympus cameras in a professional environment.

There is a lot of detail to be had in the Pen sensors and I'm sure the OMD as well when you dig in a bit. My next challenge is to find a way to deal with the red channel which the sensors seem to go nuclear on from time to time. When I do I'll post those results.

7. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yeah I'm with you. Since I sold my studio and shoot more location I really don't like to huff around lots of gear. Not every job has budget to hire an assistant. :frown:

8. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Sounds great!

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What's really astonishing is that Sony has had 6 months or more to work out the kinks in the NEX-7, and their still seem to be significant issues.

I love the idea of the NEX, but Sony's execution seems to be just awful.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  10. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Sony's worst enemy is Sony. Been like this for years. They got bloated and egocentric in the 80's and been missing on many opportunities (iPod) since.

11. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    What bothers me the most in his video, is when he Bragg's about buying the camera and it not being a demo from Olympus, but in the same breath state that he has not read any reviews on the camera. Who does that?

If I'm going to put down this kind of money, I'm going to read a bit about the camera first...just saying

• Like Like x 1
  12. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    That's just the kind of guy he is. Camera nut. He could always have sold it or returned it. If you can afford Leicas (plural) and glass for it, what's a OM-D really...

I think it was actually a good disclaimer though, since he does get a lot of review copies from B&H (who give him the option of buying them).

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He's also, in general, a m43 fan I think, and loved the ep3. So I can totally see just jumping on it!

- Eliot

14. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh- Steve Huff Does :wink: On the "Ken Rockwell Scale of Crankiness" I rate him a 5 out of 10, mainly because I at times like his "unique" points of view, he does carry the Pen E-P3 around as an everyday though (keeps going back and forth between that and the NEX-7). As everythingisablur said he has this thing for Lieca's (plural), but has this strange obsession with using art filters the majority of the time (not that there's anything wrong with that)- he really likes the grainy black and white A LOT.

That NEX video though is a nice example of why you shouldn't use that camera for video- at least the way he's using it. The focusing gave me a head ache. And as others said, the hum in the was pretty exaggerated- and annoying with how many times he kept mentioning it. I've only heard it once on my camera- when I had my ear to it looking for the noise, it's a non-issue.

15. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    It's not a hum its the sound of the ocean. :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
  17. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Indeed it does! I've toyed around with mine for the last day, and am more impressed by it that I thought I would be! Going from a E-P2 to a E-M5 is pretty stunning.

The 2 things I found to be the biggest improvements are the IS in the viewfinder, and the low light/high iso performance. 3200 iso is more than usable, 1200 on my E-P2 was iffy at times.

18. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Anyone with an EP3/E-PL3 -- how does the focus speed compare to the OMD? I viewed Steve Huff's video, and wow that AF was fast. Appreciate if you can post a quick video too ala Steve Huff's demo of the AF speed. :smile:

19. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Speed is quite comparable with the 45mm...remember, Steve's video was using the 12mm lens - easily the fastest I've experienced (though I no longer own the 12mm - too expensive for me at the time).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Steve is just another guy who loves all aspects of photography. And he definitely has a passion for gear.

He doesn't or didn't "read" reviews, because he wants to review the gear himself w/o being influenced by what others have already said or written. Sometimes he'll buy the stuff himself and then sell it. Sometimes, manufacturers will send him loaners for review. Sometimes BH and other shops will send him loaners for review as well.

While I never met Steve personally yet, we've exchanged many emails and messages in the last two years. I have a lot of respect for him. He is a real nice guy, and is truly just an average joe who has a passion for photography. He is not a "rich" guy by any means, but he has been able to slowly turn that passion into his career. If you read some of the older entries in his blog, there were many times in which he had to sell most of his stuff. Glad and happy that his website is doing well and growing.

• Like Like x 2