Steve Huff comparison: EP-3 and NEX-7

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
See full review at: Steve Huff Photos - Real World Digital Camera And Lens Reviews

NEX-7 vs The Olympus E-P3 – The E-P3 focuses faser, has better lenses available, and has a cool retro design. In silver it’s simply beautiful. But it still has the same 12 MP sensor as the E-P1. The ISO noise is not far behind the NEX-7 at 1600 but the E-P3 does not have a built in EVF or a tilt able LCD. The 7 has a larger APS-C sensor, the E-P3 has a smaller 4/3 sensor. In all fairness the E-P3 is more fun to shoot and provides results that you just can not complain about. It has a cool factor and some serious mojo even with its limitations and I own it and am keeping it. BUT the NEX-7 is more serious with more potential. NEX has to win this if we are taking body to body. Lenses, Oly wins but then again, Leica glass just works better on bigger sensors, and the NEX-7 has the bigger sensor.

I feel the G3 and GH2 would have been a good comparison, too.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
I have no doubt the NEX-7 is a better camera if you're only going to be using adapted lenses. The APS-C sized-sensor is a better fit, and the IQ is supposed to be superb. There's finally even an EVF you can attach if you don't want to use the peaking feature in on the screen.

OTOH, the NEX is hobbled by its meager selection of native lenses, and will always be at a disadvantage by their size compared to native m43 glass. So it's a matter of what you want your camera to do. For most people, I think, legacy lenses are just an enjoyable diversion, or stop-gap measure until native lenses are developed to fill in gaps in the lens lineup. For these people m43 will remain the clear choice.

For those who spend a lot of time with their adapted lenses, NEX may indeed be a better choice. I know if I had a closetfull of MF lenses I'd buy one. But I don't.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for sharing the link. With the hype/marketing juggernaut that is the NEX7 launch, I was pretty impressed that Steve was so even-handed and realistic in the comparison.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have no doubt the NEX-7 is a better camera if you're only going to be using adapted lenses.

Yup, I totally agree with you there... I was surprised to see it trounce, in Steve's view, the GXR M mount in this area.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Useful review. It confirmed what I suspected, that the Nex 7 body is far more advanced in design, features, specification and performance (except for focus speed) than the E-P3.

It also confirmed that native lenses for the Sony are lacking in choice and too big.

It also confirmed that the E-P3 is still the best option for me and on that basis I've just ordered one, but I can understand why others may be attracted by the Nex 7.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
i want to like the nex cameras, for the higher useable iso for street photography.... but i just cant :(
the lenses are too big, id be stuck with the 16mm pancake... which would be ok if everyone didnt spend paragraphs complaining about it in reviews... ugh!
the 24 seems nice, but then its huge already

then the nikons have the silent shutter... yay for street... but tiny tiny sensor of noisiness
ugh!

DDBazooka

Mu-43 Veteran
The NEX-7 is pretty much everything I would want in a camera BODY. I would choose the smaller lens over the better high ISO. Until they can do both...

NEX-7 + IBIS + m43 sensor = instant buy from me.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
It would be nice if Oly and Pany provided "peaking" for manual focus use.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I just picked a used cheap NEX-5. The NEX system isn't bad, the image quality is excellent, the only problem are the lenses. If the NEX system had the Super Control Panel, IBIS and a decent pancake, it'd trounce M43. Peaking works great for legacy glass, but it's not a replacement for decent native lenses. My Oly 12, 17, 45 trio are excellent and all very small.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just picked a used cheap NEX-5. The NEX system isn't bad, the image quality is excellent, the only problem are the lenses. If the NEX system had the Super Control Panel, IBIS and a decent pancake, it'd trounce M43. Peaking works great for legacy glass, but it's not a replacement for decent native lenses. My Oly 12, 17, 45 trio are excellent and all very small.

yeah. lenses are a huge issue for the NEX system for me. I have that same trio, but sub the 20 for the 17. If NEX matched that, I'd almost certainly switch to a NEX7. Almost. It would certainly leave very little reason to recommend m43 though. I somewhat fear that happening given how much I have invested now =) Still fear it because Sony is a powerhouse in marketing.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
yeah. lenses are a huge issue for the NEX system for me. I have that same trio, but sub the 20 for the 17. If NEX matched that, I'd almost certainly switch to a NEX7. Almost. It would certainly leave very little reason to recommend m43 though. I somewhat fear that happening given how much I have invested now =) Still fear it because Sony is a powerhouse in marketing.

I think it's more likely m43 develops better sensors before NEX develops smaller lenses.

(Putting the GH2 sensor in a PEN-style body would be good enough for me . . . and that could happen any time Panasonic wants it to happen.)

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it's more likely m43 develops better sensors before NEX develops smaller lenses.

that's another point I forgot, and agree with. One of the reasons I felt confident enough to jump all in. I just hope panasonic/oly can market better, or enough to stay current.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I was surprised that he was a bit underwhelmed by the Zeiss lens.

The Zeiss 24 1.8 QUICKLY became my favorite lens on the NEX-7. While it is not clinicaly sharp, it has character… and to me, that is way more important that hyper sharpness.

It’s not perfect and it did not really WOW me at 1st but the more I used it the more I appreciated it.

I've owned some great Zeiss lenses, which were very sharp, wowed me right away, and had character to boot. I wonder if his assessment of the Zeiss would be different on the NEX-5N.

pinholecam

Mu-43 Rookie
I'd wait for NEX7 or even 5n price to drop and buy a 2nd hand one as a 'sensor platform' for my MF Pentax lenses.
I see no point in the native NEX lenses. Too darn big on the camera form factor that I'd rather use my rather small K5. Not impressive lens selection either.

The peaking focus is the only thing that attracts me on NEX.

As to lenses, the Pentax DA limited lenses are very small for APS-C and so are the Samsung pancakes, so it should be possible for the NEX.
I just (like to) blame Sony and their emphasis on catering for the layman consumer for their focus on uninspiring zooms.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
pinholecam said:
I'd wait for NEX7 or even 5n price to drop and buy a 2nd hand one as a 'sensor platform' for my MF Pentax lenses.
I see no point in the native NEX lenses. Too darn big on the camera form factor that I'd rather use my rather small K5. Not impressive lens selection either.

The peaking focus is the only thing that attracts me on NEX.

As to lenses, the Pentax DA limited lenses are very small for APS-C and so are the Samsung pancakes, so it should be possible for the NEX.
I just (like to) blame Sony and their emphasis on catering for the layman consumer for their focus on uninspiring zooms.

And the Pentax da ltd are sexxxxxxy! Too sexy to put on a nex body!

And I agree; yay for slow useless zooms
Lol

- Eliot

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
I don't doubt a lot more can be squeezed out of the m4/3 sensors. Given how good the J1 sensor is, the m4/3's should be a lot better IMHO.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
+1

Or drop me to 6mp and just make everything else better and I'd be happy! Lol

6mp, +DR, +useable ISO range(i said RANGE so the /low/ ISO fans dont lynch me! Hehehe)

- Eliot

yottavirus

Mu-43 Regular
Triple control dials make the nex-7 controls instantly better than any micro four thirds camera. Super control panel doesn't compare to real dials, and can be easily implemented in a software update anyway. Near zero shutter lag only rubs salt into u43's point-and-shoot like responsiveness. The sensors are in different leagues, and the size+ergonomics are spectacular for a small camera. All they need now is their version of the 20/1.7 that will justify the NEX series. It doesn't even have to be tiny, just a good performer for a decent price. Once this comes out, u43 will have a serious competitor that will force it to improve their bodies substantially instead of coming up with minor updates every year.

The nex concept has so much unrealised potential; it hurts to see them sitting there stagnant, and that u43 bodies could be so much better but aren't.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I just picked up an E-PM1 and NEX-5, both used. :smile: My take is...M43 as a camera system feels really polished compared to NEX. On the other hand, NEX has great sensor tech, but the lenses are really too big. Olympus BTW, just needs a new sensor and they'll be a serious contender. I just don't think Panasonic just is competitive with sensor tech. The NEX-5 sensor is good, they should just use that and crop into it or something!

Latest threads

Top Bottom