Stereo with Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by oldnikkor, Jun 23, 2010.

1. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    Okay, so stereo is foreign to many of you I'm sure, but have you tried shooting stereo yet with your Mu-43 camera? You can use a beamsplitter attachment with a prime lens, or you can just take two shots while leaning your weight alternately on either foot. If you don't want to line them up manually there's a free program out there called "StereoPhotoMaker" that will do the work for you. And if you are lucky enough to be able to freeview them (look at the left image with your left eye and right image with your right eye) then, voila! You have genuine 3D stereo, parallel stereo as it's called. Example to follow.

P1010646a1.

Much easier to freeview in a smaller size, all I could figure out was the thumbnail, but that one is REALLY easy to freeview.

P1010646a1.

Or you could print them out and view them with the old stereoviewers from the turn of the century! :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Ooo, we used to have one of those stereoviewers... It belonged to my grandparents who were born in the 1800s... Hmmm.

Cool idea oldnikkor!

3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Nice thread, thanks. I like to go 3D. Have taken a look at the Fuji real 3D camera. Sony is working on a 3D camera, hope that one will be available soon. As to mu43 it seems that Pan is working on 3D too. I'm too aware of a 3D lens, don't remember from which manufacturer right now. Oh well, I go for either Sony 3D or Pan 3D.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Welcome, nice thread.

I too indulge in stereophotography from time to time. Mostly makeshift, but it's somewhat funny :
    PAD #56 - anaglyph - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

While I wouldn't turn it into an habitus, I look forward to learn more on the subject.

5. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    I've dabbled in stereo for some time now, and have enjoyed using the Kodak Stereo, The Stereo Realist and Revere Stereo cameras, as well as the Pentax Stereo adapter, (beamsplitter). Hell, I even shoot stereo with my IPhone!

But still enjoy the though of making it happen with my G1. Will keep you all posted.

By the way, I think about 600x400 pixels is as big as you can comfortably freeview, holding it away from yourself a little. :)

P1010646a1small.

P1010687asmall.

I am partial to parallel stereo views but you can also make anaglyphs withe the same freeware software!!

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

6. kds315

kds315 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Weinheim, Germany
    I played with that idea too a while ago...
    (optimised for cross eyed viewing)

original.

• Like Like x 3
  7. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    Very nice stereo shot! I don't normally do mine for crosseyed viewing, but maybe I should try them that way. Not everyone can freeview parallel comfortably.

Incidentally, you can save and load a stereo image into Stereo Photo Maker and change it to your liking to a format you prefer. Very handy.

8. kds315

kds315 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Weinheim, Germany
    Yep, that is what I also use.

9. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
    My 3Ds

I love the feature of my E-P3 to take 3D shots.
    Maybe it's not perfect but I hope I'm getting it.
    The software is Stereo Photo Maker (free).
    Mike

Attached Files:

10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I eventually got it. When it happens you see 3 images with the one in the middle that you look at being in 3D. An element of this one stands out about a foot from my screen.
    I have to take a moment to put myself back together.