Stereo Mic

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ksn, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't know much about microphones in the first place, but regarding the built-in mics on the GF2, GH2, what is the purpose of a stereo mic if both the left and right receivers are within a millimeters of each other? Would it be more effective if they were, say, a few inches apart?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I think the separation is just enough to give a stereo sound track. Wider should be better.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    interesting topic, I'd been wondering that myself, but keep this in mind.

the speed of sound is roughly 340.29 m/s

The difference of having it 2cm apart or 10cm apart.... I don't know if the electronics is good enough to capture the difference.

10cm / 340290 cm is roughly .0000293866 seconds

i.e. the camera would have to sample the audio at a rate near 100,000 times a second for it to be able to distinguish between 2cm and 10cm...

4. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    If the difference between 2cm and 10cm is negligible, then the 2cm between L and R shouldn't count for much either and if both mics are picking up the same thing, it might as well be mono. Unless of course, both mics are picking up sound waves from different directions, at an angle maybe, but in the case of these cameras, they're all pointing straight up.