Step up filter rings

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tarya, Oct 16, 2011.

1. tarya

tarya Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2011
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Hi there,

I'm a new E-PL3 owner and I'd like to get some filters to play with. At the moment the only lens I have is the 14-42mm that came with the kit. I will certainly buy others (thinking about either getting the pancake 17mm first, or saving - for a while - for the Voigtländer Nokton 25mm).

After doing a tiny bit of research I found this Step up Filter ring set which would allow me to buy pretty much any size of filters I guess.

This takes me to which size should I get the filters: I think 58mm is a good balance between compatibility with the m4/3 lenses (I'm not considering adapting lenses just yet, I bought the E-PL3 for its size and weight) and price (yes, I could get the 82mm, but I'd get 1 82mm filter for 2 or 3 58mm ones), but I would like to have your advice about it.

Thank you

2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I'd avoid anything that complicated (plus, I didn't see 46mm in that list). If you like zooms, 58 would be s good size. If you like primes, though, I'd use 46mm filters. They'll fit on the 12, the 20, and both 45's, and you can buy one step up ring for your kit zoom. There's my two cents!
  3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I agree with SSGreenley that the 46mm filter may be a good starting point. I've reached this conclusion after spending some time investigating future options for my E-P3 system.

Currently, my 14-42 IIR kit lens and the Oly 45mm both use 37mm filter sizes. My 20mm uses the 46mm. Next up on my purchases will likely be the 12mm and Panny 45-175 Vario X, both of which use the 46mm size. The only future possible lens that exceeds 46mm is the Oly 9-18, which uses a 52mm filter size, but I probably won't want to use a polarizer on an ultra-wide, so that's probably a moot point.

With those lenses, I can buy a polarizer and a neutral density filter in the 46mm size, and just add a 37mm --> 46mm step-up ring and be done (for me, the m43 system is about simplicity; if I have to carry multiple step-up rings and filters, I may as well take my DSLR kit centered around 77mm filters).

You'll want to do a similar analysis of your future lens purchases to figure out what the largest filter size should be, and then figure out the necessary step-up rings from there. Aside from the Oly 9-18, the other commonly purchased m43 lens with larger filter size is the Oly 40-150 that is 58mm, which is one of the lesser factors causing me to lean towards the Panny X tele-zoom.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    46mm is a rangefinder size and therefore won't be in the step-up ring kit. The :43: system seems to be keeping filter sizes more within common rangefinder sizes rather than common SLR sizes, like 40.5mm, or 46mm, at least for the :43: primes. This makes sense, as the rangefinder accessories match the look we want on our PEN or GF cameras, which are the most common users of :43: primes. So I would also skip the step-up ring set and just get 46mm and 40.5mm filters.

That said, outside of these rangefinder sizes step-up rings are a wonderful thing to have... so it wouldn't hurt buying the set anyways if the price is cheap. I normally pay $15 per step-up ring at my local camera shop. I doubt you'll find 46mm step-ups though... I know I couldn't find any 40.5mm ones.
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Why 40.5 as the omly lens that size is the 14-42 mk I, mkII and R versions are 37mm. Just get a step up ring from 37 to 46, and maybe 46-52 if your gonna go for a standard filter size, or step up to 58mm for filter standard.
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    For a huge variety of sizes, check out They have excellent prices and very fast shipping. Good people to deal with.
  7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  9. tarya

tarya Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2011
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Wow! Thank you for all the responses, that was really helpful, I'm going to start making a sort of defined list of what I'm planning to buy and go from there.
  10. dothraki

dothraki Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    The biggest step-up (from 37mm) that I found it's the 37-58mm.

Because of this and because I had the Olympus 40-150mm on my wishlist (now with the new Panasonic 45-175mm I'm not so sure) I got the 37-58mm and 46-58mm step-ups.

Now I only need to buy some filters to put in front of them. Yes, REALLY :biggrin::biggrin:
  11. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I have seen a lot of venders on ebay that are selling step up rings for a good price. Also look there.
  12. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I picked up a 37mm to 46mm step up ring from Amazon for a few bucks awhile back.

Works well since the diameter is no larger than the 45 f1.8 so I just keep it on there. It shares the same filters,lens cap, and hood from my lumix 20.