1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Step up filter and telephoto converter use on Olympus E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vwvapor, Jul 2, 2013.

1. vwvapor

vwvapor New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2013
    I've been using my 10 year old KM Dimage A2 and have been long overdue for more current technology. I just ordered the E-PL5 and hope to have it this week.

My question regards some of the accessories that I have for my A2. I have some filters and the KM ACT-100 telephoto converter lens, all with 49mm threading.

• Should I just get a 37-49mm step up ring to use my old filters or just get newer filter(s) at 37mm? My filters are just about as old as the camera so the glass and coating tech has likely improved.
    • What about using the telephoto converter lens with the kit lens and the step up ring rather than buying a longer zoom lens?

Thanks for any thoughts and insights anyone can provide!

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I'd say invest in some new filters and a zoom lens. TCs, especially the front attaching ones degrade IQ. Since the TC was made for a another camera/lens, its even worse. I'm not sure what kind of filters you are talking, but if they are colored, I don't see a reason to even use them, but I could be wrong. If youre talking about UV filter for protection, just get new ones. Like you said, you're filters are old, and the size difference is pretty substantial between 37 and 49. Beside having a tacky looking filter on your lens, you wont be able to use the OEM lens cap. You're going to have to use your KM lens cap on top of the filter