1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

step down ring on 40-150mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rpringle, Jan 18, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I'm thinking of getting an oly 40-150mm R lens and I like to keep my UV filters on the lenses for protection. I also like to keep a standardized filter size for most of my lenses. the one I generally use is 52mm and I was wondering if a 58-52mm step down with a UV filter would affect vignetting? I'd also like to use my 52-77mm step up ring with my cir-polarizer. It's a telephoto so I know it's less prone to filter vignetting but is stacking 1 step down ring, 1 step up ring, and one filter asking too much?

2. riderfan

riderfan New to Mu-43

May 26, 2013
    SK, Canada
    I think you will be okay (can give you confirmation in about a week).

I already have the step down so I can use my 52mm CPL on 40-150 R. I haven't used this combo for a photo yet but my quick indoor tests suggest it will be fine. I have 52-62 and 62-77 step up rings on order so will try stepping up to 62 and putting on my new 62 CPL (if this works you should be fine).

Will post back.

3. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    That is no problem at all. I have a 58-46mm step-down ring permanently attached to my 40-150mm to use the same 46mm filters I use on most other objectives. Even that gives no vignetting.