1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Step-down ring 52-58mm for Oly 40-150?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BeyondTheLines, Aug 26, 2014.

1. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I originally bought 52mm filters for my m43 gear (that was the filter size of my biggest lens at the time) and I've been using step-up rings for my smaller lenses. Problem is, I picked up the Oly 40-150mm for a song a little over a year ago and there's been a few times where I would have liked to use some of my filters with it but couldn't due to it's 58mm filter size. I was wondering if at least some/most of the zoom range wouldn't vignette as the focal length increases? Since step-down rings aren't exactly expensive I'm willing to give it a try but figured I'd tap into the knowledge base here first.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When I owned this lens, I used 52mm filters and used a 58-52mm step-down ring. I don't recall there being any vignetting. Why Olympus put such large front glass on that lens is beyond me!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Thank You Margaret!! That's great to hear from someone whose used the same exact combination and gives me a lot more confidence to just see how it goes. I figured I'd probably lose out at least a little bit on the wide end but if even that's not the case then I feel even better about ordering the step-down ring.

• Like Like x 1