1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Step-down ring 52-58mm for Oly 40-150?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BeyondTheLines, Aug 26, 2014.

1. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I originally bought 52mm filters for my m43 gear (that was the filter size of my biggest lens at the time) and I've been using step-up rings for my smaller lenses. Problem is, I picked up the Oly 40-150mm for a song a little over a year ago and there's been a few times where I would have liked to use some of my filters with it but couldn't due to it's 58mm filter size. I was wondering if at least some/most of the zoom range wouldn't vignette as the focal length increases? Since step-down rings aren't exactly expensive I'm willing to give it a try but figured I'd tap into the knowledge base here first.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When I owned this lens, I used 52mm filters and used a 58-52mm step-down ring. I don't recall there being any vignetting. Why Olympus put such large front glass on that lens is beyond me!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Thank You Margaret!! That's great to hear from someone whose used the same exact combination and gives me a lot more confidence to just see how it goes. I figured I'd probably lose out at least a little bit on the wide end but if even that's not the case then I feel even better about ordering the step-down ring.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.