Steer Clear of Willoughby's in NY!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Oct 24, 2013.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    They had a EM1 in stock yesterday and I ordered it. They guy never mentioned the price other than that absurd $87 for overnight shipping which I took due to my excitement. They didn't even send me an email invoice or anything. The box showed up today and my wife accepted it. I'm at work. So I go online to check what they deducted just to see, and low and behold they charged $200 MORE than suggested list price. I called and they gave me this lame excuse "our customers don't wish to wait and due to the unavailability of the item we imported it directly from Japan".....they never said a word to me about this. So I called for a return call tag....they can have their precious camera back. In the mean while Ritz/Cameraworld is getting a boatload of them in as we speak on Friday and Monday. I ordered next day (for only $32 this time) and will receive it on Monday. It will be a cold day in hell when I work with those robbers in NY again. B&H, Adorama and the like are super to work with but these other guys are puke. Just had to rant after all my excitement......sheesh.
  2. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    That is shameful. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I have to say, and maybe I'm just spoiled by Amazon, but I am finding Ritz/CamerWorld's communication to be a bit lacking. It took 4 hours for the confirmation email to arrive and I had to call them to find out the status of my order because their web-based order tracking system doesn't recognize my order info. I was told my camera shipped but I haven't received an email confirming yet.
  3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Ironically I just cancelled with Ritz and ordered one from Berger Bros in NY. They are good people and I'll have it tomorrow instead of waiting till Monday. YAY!!
  4. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Look on Amazon. Willoughby always have hard to find items hundreds of dollars over list. Last night they had the E-M1 in stock for $1799!
  5. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    Sorry to hear it. Willoughby's has been around forever -- more than 60 years, I think, and they used to be an honorable business.
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Willoghby's is a good company to do business with. I've ordered from them occasionally since the 70s and they have always met expectations. Based on the fact that dcisive got his camera today it is evident that Willoghby's is a good company to deal with.

dcisive checked the overnight shipping charge ($87) which was apparently agreed to and now calls it absurd, yet did not check the price of the camera?

BTW dcisive, how much was that USPS Next Day Air? oooooo $99.48

Have you thought about changing your screen name to "impatience," might be more fitting.:laugh1:
  7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    Ah dunno, the first thing I'd check once I knew it was in stock would be the asking price before giving them my credit card info. Hopefully no restocking fee and pretty sure the OP is out the cost of overnight and return shipping. At this point is may be cheaper to just keep it...
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Willoughby's might not be the best camera retailer but I have to say that the Op is hardly the ideal customer.

By my reckoning he has cancelled a minimum of 3 orders...
    1) His original pre-order
    2) Willoughby's
    3) Ritz camera

He has also blamed Olympus for the launch, threatened to sell all his M43 and buy a Nikon D610 or a Fuji Xe-2.

But his priceless comment was...
    I've been exhibiting a level of patience I never knew I had waiting for my OMD-EM1
  9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Wow that's a handful right there.

Other than that I would never buy anything without asking for the price first though.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010

Buying without asking the price and then crying about it is bad enough, but trashing the retailer for his own stupidity is beyond childish. I hope he never tells vendors that he hangs out at MU-43 and makes us all look bad.
  11. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Give me a break guys. The main reason I trashed them is because in the last 18 years I've been buying camera gear from probably most of the reputable dealers you all know, this is the FIRST time the guy never mentioned the price was different (excuse me for assuming it was the same as the 100 other dealers are selling it for) and they never sent me the email of confirmation of shipment, nor invoice nada nothing. And YES I DO think $87 is high for overnight shippment. I'm used to paying more like $35 for he same service from Adorama, B&H, Ritz and others. They don't pay such high rates so it surprised me theirs was that high. The cancellation from ********** was because I had been waiting for 4 weeks while watching others get theirs. The cancellation from Ritz was strangely enough due to the fact that I was told by 2 different representatives it would take till Mon-Tues to get me the camera, and then here on this forum Berger Bros. was mentioned as having it in stock, and being that they are a privately owned small shop had the capability to get it out immediately overnight. Ritz, "i was told" could not do that. Low and behold they got it shipped an hour after I called, but this was not what I was told would happen. Hence the mixup. Typically I haven't cancelled anything in the past as I have with this camera situation. I never said I was a patient guy. I did however wait 2 weeks for the EM5 when It was released and I got mine from ********** weeks prior to any other dealer getting them, so I "thought" it might be the same scenario. It was not. There you have it in a nutshell. Perhaps indeed Willoughby's is a "reputable" dealer, but apparently the vast majority of those on the "reseller rating" site feel much like I do. They simply "take advantage" of people. Sure it's legal, but that still doesn't make it right. I'm done...
  12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Always ask the price and final bill. On the other hand, I've never had a camera sales guy on the phone not tell me what my bill is. If you've agreed to the pricey overnight shipping, then you have no right to complain. Moreover, certain stores don't have the same relationship with UPS or Fed Ex to get better shipping pricing. But I've also seen a few sellers make profits off shipping costs. Pretty scummy IMO. Last but certainly not the least, $400 above MSRP (import or not) is excessive. IMO, it's price gouging. But as long as a customer knows the price and accepts it, then a contract exists. I certainly would not call a business honorable when it price gouges though. Just my opinion.