Steel Wool

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Phew! :thumbup::2thumbs::drinks:
Hard to believe that no one has responded to this incredible series of yours...

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Awesome! I don't see how the title relates, but I like it!

It is apparent that the OP feels the relationship should be obvious to everyone. Otherwise he wanted to be cryptic so people would ask; the only other alternative would be he was not thinking when first posting. :biggrin:

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sorry I'm late to look. I thought it was another sensor cleaning thread.

I use SOS pads myself. The steel wool with detergent works so much better than straight steel wool.

Seriously these are some very cool shots. It would be interesting to see how it was done. I mean did the guy just hold on to the burning steel wool or was it in a holder of some sort? How was the fire started - battery? I always keep a small amount of steel wool and a 9v battery in my survival kit for fire starting.

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
Thank you every one.

Awesome! I don't see how the title relates, but I like it!

Sorry for the undescriptive title. Indeed, it's a technique of burning the steel wool and spin them and with the long exposure give this kind of result.

I use SOS pads myself. The steel wool with detergent works so much better than straight steel wool.

Seriously these are some very cool shots. It would be interesting to see how it was done. I mean did the guy just hold on to the burning steel wool or was it in a holder of some sort? How was the fire started - battery? I always keep a small amount of steel wool and a 9v battery in my survival kit for fire starting.

So for people who are not familiar with this kind of photo, here is a video explaining the process

[video=youtube_share;LJkBLMhXvcQ]http://youtu.be/LJkBLMhXvcQ[/video]

If you decided to give it a try, please be careful not to cause any fire and make sure all fire are out before you leave the place you spin.

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nice work Nam. I bet you used a fair amount of steel wool to get those shots. Did you dunk it in metho to get it lit? I've used a fire before but that would be a bit hard where you're twirling.

The green on the tracks is cool. Is that from a Laser?

For those who are not savvy with what's going on, I had a thread awhile back with instructions on how to make one.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=32942

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
Thank you Iconindustries...indeed the green light is from a laser and we also use powerful flashlight to light paint the wall of the the tunnel and the ground after the spin is over. Great advantage with shooting with the OM-D is I used Bulb Live Time mode to see and control the light painting of the "decor." We just light the steel wool up either with lighter or 9v battery no need to add anything else, you need the finest 000 or 0000. Almost all my shot I used F13 and I noticed you use F11, furthermore on these shot we tend to move more than just to stay in one spot which create the overexposed center of the spin, which is very difficult to control photographically speaking.

Latest threads

Top Bottom