1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Steel Mill Molten Steel Leak Video with the LX7

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by entropicremnants, Apr 19, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Basically, at the steel mill sometimes things fail just when you don't want them too. For instance, when the lining of a ladle holding 180 tons of steel fails, it would be better if there were not molten steel IN the ladle...

This was not a bad one which is why I'll show it. The ladle had to be taken to a dump pit, have it's arms unlocked, and then some of the steel poured off to take it below the level of the failure. When the ceramic lining fails the steel melts through the other shell and keeps enlarging the hole until a total failure occurs. This one happened high up at the "slag line" so it's easier to deal with.

In the first three still shots below, you can see the ladle leaking steel (on the far side sorry), workmen unlocking the pivoting lift arms, then finally the top level of steel and slag being poured off.

In the video (now at the bottom of this post) I'll show the "re-ladling" operation where the steel is poured into a good ladle so it can be salvaged -- 180 tons of steel is a lot of money and can't be wasted if at all possible.

The video is a high-def, hand-held video with the Panasonic LX7. I did a very basic edit, titling, and music addition in Premier Elements 11 -- nothing fancy. The music is Django Reinhardt which I hope you like okay... and if you don't tough, lol.

ladlebreak1s.

ladlebreak2s.

ladlebreak3s.

And here's the video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzP9cvHSkM"]Re-Ladle of Steel from Damaged Ladle - YouTube[/ame]

2. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Wow, neat introduction to industrial machinery. The workers look tiny near those ladles.

Nice job on the video too!

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The first week I was working at Republic, we had a breakout in the LMF ... The second week, we had another one - I asked if that happened every Friday ... Old timers didnt think it was as funny as I did.

The best one was when we had a gate failure, and it wouldn't shut off. They swung over the e-ladle, and it failed also, and then drilled through the 6' thick concrete slab it was sitting on. I wish I had pictures of the 40' stream of molten steel.

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Wish we had an LMF. We reheat with aluminum and oxygen.

I have seen some things too but they will never get posted, lol. Some old hands don't even want you to say "breakout" -- very superstitious. They call it "the b-word"...

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Nice photo's and video John. Maybe you should give NARCO a call for some of their ladle brick, they can fix you up with either semi-u's or mini keys; they have Mag-Carbon, Mag-Chrome, High Alumina, fireclay, I.F.B.'s, pre-cast impact pads, and can cast the entire ladle. They can even supply the mandrel for casting as well as supplying "Thermal-Vision" to monitor the shell temperature. Give them a call, they're good people.

6. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'll talk to them when I get in to work, lol... They're already there and we rely heavily on Narco. This ladle had a lot of heats on it and was chemically reheated which can be an issue. Just one of those things.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Here's the other end of the spectrum. Wuzhen Xizha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    E-PL1 with PL 20mm

8. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    There must be thousands of little metal shops like this all over Asia. Great shots!

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Great stuff! Love to see this stuff as this sort of an operation represents the "genesis" of so much of what we do on a large scale now.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Here's one from a little bigger place in Qingdao. I loved the lighting and the sparks popping out of thin air, but was constantly afraid he'd stumble and fall head first into the ladle in that unguarded pit.

MoltenSteel-Copy_zps5de7b0ae.

11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    These old timers know their jobs. Man, I'd have LOVED to see and photograph this. Nice work.