Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Harribo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    These were taken on a visit to Worth Valley steam railway, I have been there several times but this was my first visit with the GF1 and 20mm.
    I tried to capture some of the detail in the engine rather than the standard shots of the train. The GF1 helped me be a bit more flexible than with my DSLR.

There are more to this series but I liked these four. I printed these out to A4 and love the detail.

Attached Files:

File size:
      206.2 KB
      File size:
      210 KB
      File size:
      189.9 KB
      File size:
      211.8 KB
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Nice stuff... railway shots always make for good fodder in later PP too.. the graphic qualities tend to lend themselves toward further interpretation 'down the line' as the creative mood strikes you. I have steam material going back forty years and I am always drawn to it, always fooling around with it. It's like... playtime.

There is an historic railway not far from where I live ( )and it would be fun to go up there with some local mu-43 shooters on a Saturday morning and make a little mini-project out of it. If anybody in southern Ontario is up for it give me a shout.... Sabesh? Muntz?

Ah, the smell of creosote on a railway tie....

Bokeh D
  3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    grear observation bokeh , there is a timelessness and quality that lends itself to creatvity and experiment in these

in fact im beginning to see much b&w the same way to me , i see color in these wonderful shots but the point is made thru the dynamic nature of shape and tone , and seems only touched by warm and cool in an understated but useful way . often the removal or absence of color in the equation seems to generate possibility that is hidden or muddled in a color photo , but as a statement of value [ light and dark ] a purity emerges at times that is open to exploration in a manner that is not as apparent in a straight color photo
    this of course makes the realization of a good color photo all the more special ,
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good images and once more they show just how good that GF1+20mm combination is and a great subject that offers timeless images.

Thanks for sharing.
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Great photos - I love the clarity and color and feel as though I can smell the coal and the grease...and hear the steam. Really well done!