STC IR-ND64 6 Stop Neutral Density Clip Filter

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Got this instead of buying the costly large glass or resin filters and sundry holders needed for the Olympus wide angle lenses figuring I'd save a few bucks.

So what did I learn?

Turns out to be approximately 5 1/3 stops of ND and not 6 stops. Slight warm (amber) cast to it too. I made a DCP Profile for it with a ColorChecker Passport so it took care of that color matter. Didn't notice any decrease in sharpness.

However, it's not the easiest thing to install! Their instructions say this (Quoted):
"Slide the Clip filter from the upper side until the bottom edge of the filter close to the bottom of shutter curtain. Press the spring at the top of the filter until it fit the wall of shutter curtain."

m'Kay! I fought with it going into the E-M1 Mark II and gave up. Blew crud from the failed attempt off the sensor. Got out the Pen-F and it did go into it easier, although not by much.

It must go BEHIND the plastic semi-circle that holds the gold lens connection pins first, and that's the hard part. Too bad they didn't notch the lower corners on the filter so it might help to index it better at the ends of the camera lens connection piece. That or a thinner rubber seal at the bottom maybe. Once behind them, then you try and push the top fingernail grabber (The "Spring" at the top.) into the top of the recessed cavity so it sits flat. Whew!

Digging it out you need a good fingernail to pull it. Quoted: "Hook the spring Cat the top of the filter frame with your fingertip to take out the clip filter."

If you are afraid of cleaning your sensor this might not be for you. Smaller fingers are probably better suited for it too.

Shipping was very quick for $35 (2-3 days from Taiwan). The DHL delivery girl was in full Hazmat gear with mask and face shield (Covid-19 thing) and left it on porch and asked me for my name from 8 feet away. Probably saw where it came from on the label and wanted away from it.

Below is a closeup of it trying to go into the E-M1 Mark II, but I gave up. Yellow squares show where it needs to go under the lens connection pin array further before one can snap the top into the body cavity. Went into the Pen-F easier. The baffle it rests against seems flimsier in the Pen-F, maybe plastic, and stiffer in the E-M1 II so maybe why it is harder to fit in it. Dunno. Scary though!

STC-E-M1-II.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I do have one of their Astro Clip Filters that costs a lot more and was supposedly to eliminate some of the city lights. It was also tight going into the E-M1 Mark II but it went in. That was a while back though and it didn't work as well as I had hoped for the excess city lights here. It went into the retired stuff drawer until I can get to a really dark sky.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got a notice the bank tacked on a $4 International Currency Conversion charge. So filter ends up costing about $120.

Given the price I would expect it to fit into the body far easier.

Now that it really ***** me off, bet you can't figure out what I'm gonna do with the wooden guillotine clamp I made. :eek:

We'll see.....

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Success! Much, much easier to index with the filed notches (So it doesn't spin around while fitting.) and install behind the lens connection pin array now! :dance4:

Below shows the filter in the clamp. I filed the lower corners at about a 60 degree angle with a needle file that had a safe edge (i.e. Side of file without teeth.) against the wooden clamp. I used some vinyl electrical tape on the inside of the clamp to hold the filer so it would not spin during the hand filing. I used a black Sharpie pen to paint the bare brass.

Wasn't as bad as I thought to do the filing either.

Clamp-on-Filter.jpg

E-M1-II-with-STC-Filter-Modified.jpg

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just saw this warning on the DPReview website where the rubber came off the back of one and stuck to the guy's sensor: Warning on STC Clip Filters.

I know they are tight when new and very problematic to get on. Some bodies less troublesome than others due to the lens connection pin array and how close it is to the baffle behind it.

Debating on whether to take the rubber off mine now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom