1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Stayin' cool on a summer's Saturday afternoon

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, Jul 14, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Just poured myself an Alaskan Winter (my last one left over from the winter run of them) and it looked so good in the mug that I thought this was cause to fire up a camera! Grabbed the E-M5 with 45/1.8 lens - shot in portrait orientation with the 45mm lens @ f/2.8.

What I was quickly reminded of was that I need to use my GH2 or G3 for such images, because shooting the E-PL3 or E-M5 in portrait orientation, with the camera at a low angle, is a royal PITA - very difficult to work with. For table top still life work with m4/3 cameras, the fully articulating LCD of the GH2 or the G3 is an essential feature for me. But this was a grab shot, for the most part, so I didn't bother to change camera bodies.

Z7140138.

Z7140142.

This third image is a crop of the second image.
    Z7140142-2.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's summer.

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Don, they worked out beautifully - in spite of the issues!

• Like Like x 1
  4. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    On my iPad, they appear to be square or nearly so. So....I guess you could have done landscape after all...? :)

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Chuck... I did some cropping. I could have done landscape on the bottle and mug image, but I wanted to write to more pixels on the mug-only image, so I chose portrait... AND, that enabled me to get closer to the subject, which contributed to shallow DOF AND, lastly... I just hate wasting perfectly willing pixels. :wink: :smile:

6. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Well-explained, Don - thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Makes me want to reach for the tap handle...may be a bit early for that though (0630). :biggrin:

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Nice photos! I should walk around with the 45 on the E-M5. Definitely produces some nice photos and it gets me framing for interesting details vs UWA shots.

I see you managed to keep that pistol out of the frame this time. :thumbup: