Stay with Nikon 1 or go MFT

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by CVigilV, Oct 14, 2013.

1. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Hi Im new in the forums but I wanted some advice if I should go to MFT (love this format) or stay in Nikon 1 series and buy some lenses.
    I like doing landscapes, macro and sports photography and recently I have started doing street photography.
    The thing is that if I go MFT, I would buy the Olympus OMD-EM1 with a Sigma lens or the EM-5 with the Sigma + the grip and some batteries. I also have seen some C-Mount lenses that I'm really interested on.

What do you think, should I stay with my beloved kit V1 or go full time MFT?

Thanks anyways,
    Carlos

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    To quote a saying from another forum:
    "When in doubt, buy both."

Keep your 1 series around, they're nice cameras with nice AF. Not to say the E-M1 doesn't have nice AF. You can have a smaller system when you don't feel like taking the E-M1 out ("The best camera is the one you have with you."), or you have the capability of the E-M1 with a second body ready for use with another lens of another focal length range mounted on it for those shots you'd miss when you change your lens.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Keep in mind that when asking this question within a Micro Four Thirds forum, no one is going to say "stick with the Nikon 1 system". :biggrin:

4. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    I ask myself the same thing about going to nex or Fuji, that FF nex looks so damn sexy :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app

5. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Yeah your right, but I have had this questions rounding in my head a lot of time, especifically since the first rumor of the OMD-EM1. I want to do the right decision, that after all it will help my photography improve

So again I ask, :43:(new camera and 1 lens) or Nikon 1(pair of primes)

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I owned both. Love the Nikon 1 system. Great handling, features and the silent shutter just rocks. Saying that I wasn't too thrilled with the sensor performance. In bright light it was great, but in low light I feel it's subpar compared to other mirrorless cameras. Also Nikon's adapted lens implementation is really poor. If you plan to use C-mount lenses, Olympus has you covered with full metering in aperture priority, auto ISO and awesome IBIS. To Nikon's benefit, I still think their hybrid continuous AF is better than the Olympus E-M1's version. I tried the E-M1 focusing in-store and didn't find it as refined as Nikon's.

I tried liking the Nikon 1 system especially since I'm a fully entrenched Nikon FX DSLR user, but at the end of the day I came back to M43 and especially Olympus as my small camera brand of choice. Hope that helps! :wink:

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Honestly, if you are happy with the Nikon 1 you are probably better off getting a couple lenses for it. Nikon seems to be committed to support the format, so I don't think you'd be wasting your money -- you can upgrade your body in the future and the lenses will still be just as useful.

The only downside is that Nikon doesn't have a dedicated macro lens for the 1 system, and their telephoto maxes out at 110mm (300mm equivalent). MFT has 2 dedicated macro lenses, and several lenses that have a longer reach.

If you keep you Nikon, the 18.5mm should be good for street photography. If you don't have a telephoto you'll want one of those for sports. Then for landscapes, the 10mm prime is good, or the wide angle 6.7-13mm zoom.

8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I was a N1V1 user for about 18 months and finally gave up in frustration over the lousy ergonomics of the V1, the lousy lens selection (Nikon only, N1 only if you want full AF performance, no 2.8 zooms, etc.), and no real flash capability. Also the sensor in low light was mediocre, especially being limited to 3.5-5.6 zooms with the tiny flash. That being said, in decent conditions it (like most modern cameras) is capable of great images. And the hybrid focusing is indeed state-of-the-art.

So I jumped to the EM5 and never looked back.

I am reveling in lens choices. I'm loving the many available bodies from two vendors. I like the fact that I can use my standard flashes with it. I love the much better ergonomics of my two bodies, the EM5 and GX7. They are also feature-rich compared to Nikon's best, the V2. I love my 2.8 zoom and set of 1.8 primes. I love the better low-light performance.

As far as size, the GX7 with a kit zoom is virtually the same size and weight as the V1 with the kit zoom (14-42).

Being able to build a system of bodies, lenses, and accessories from competing manufacturers is great.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I used to have the J1. But I parted ways because I was an early adopter and there wasn't much glass for it out at the time - though arguably, there's still not much glass out for either.

That being said,
    Because I do a huge amount of watersports in the summer with the kids, I've begun saving up to purchase the newly released Nikon 1 AW body & waterproof lenses.

Yes I know the E-M5 is weatherized but it's not going underwater for an extended period of time. I used to use an Olympus Tough for all that underwater stuff.

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Actually I think this is potentially the problem with the system - it isnt clear that Nikon is actually committed to it. At its last set of results in July Nikon stated they were 're-considering the Nikon 1 product line' and that its poor sales were responsible for the 'majority of the fall of 550,000 ILC sales' in the first half of the year.

The problem that Nikon faces is that while the Nikon 1 is an absolute bargain at US$350 fire sale prices it cant sell their product at US$799 at launch. I suspect they have a similar problem with say the US$900 32 1.2 lens - consumers happily accept the Nikon 1 as a budget mirrorless product but not a premium one and probably Nikon doesnt want to position the Nikon 1 range as undercutting its budget SLRs.

Of course none of this matters if you are happy now and in the future with what Nikon already has out there 3 zooms and a couple of primes 10 and 18 that are supposedly very good.

11. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I have a Nikon V1 as well. And more or less switched to m43. The lenses are much higher quality and there's a huge range of available lenses compared to the N1 system. I wasn't satisfied with the cheap plastic feel of the N1 lenses.

The V1 shoots better video though. And the slo-mo effects are kind of fun for a little while. I managed to get some great shots with the V1 on a trip to Montreal last year. Blew one night time HDR of Notre Dame up to 12x18 that looks fantastic printed and framed. Also got some nice HDRs inside the churches there. Shooting on a tripod you can take advantage of low ISO's and there's no noise issues.

But the E-M5 handles better, has better IQ and the quality of lenses and bigger selection of lenses is what really sold me on the m43 system. So, I essentially switched to m43 but I still have the V1. I couldn't really get any money for it now anyway so I'll hang onto it for occasional use.

12. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    If

- you're rarely up against the high-ISO limitations of the Nikon;
    - you have the lenses you need/want (or they're available for the system);
    - you're not missing the bokeh of a bigger sensor/faster lenses

then you're more than fine with what you have!

If the contrary, then you'd be thrilled with m4/3s.

13. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    The Nikon 1 system has 2 things going for it in my mind

1. Size & weight (the stuff is really small)
    2. C-AF performance relative to CDAF-only systems. Nikon really nailed the PDAF/CDAF hybrid thing.
    Other than that, things start to look like pretty serious compromises.

If we are talking daytime sports, you might feel you went backwards with m43 from a AF tracking standpoint. And macro depends also if you are at low ISO (the small sensor has great DOF).

The minute you need high ISO, a wider selection of lenses (especially primes), selective DOF (outside of longer focal lengths at minimum focus distance), dynamic range (landscape), etc, you are clearly in the realm of a system with a larger sensor.

14. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Thank to everyone!

So decisions are decisions... Going :43: full time with a OMD-Em1 the Sigma 30mm(Most probable), a C-Mount and a legacy lens!

Thanks to everyone who posted in this topic, it was a lot of help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

15. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Since you use the term "beloved" to describe your Nikon, I would suggest just stay with it. If it is beloved, why even consider changing?

16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Let me see if I understand this correctly. You like doing macro, landscapes, and sports. You're going from a Nikon V1 and getting an EM1 and Sigma 30 and a legacy lens. The Sigma 30 is not a macro and seems an unusual choice for landscapes and sports. The V1 likely has better AF for sports (not sure which sports you shoot) than the EM1, which is probably the best u4/3 camera for sports. I'm just not sure you're going to be happy with your choices for your stated priorities. If budget is an issue, maybe you should consider a less expensive body, such as the E-PL5 or E-PM2, with the Panasonic 14 for landscapes and get a legacy macro with adapter for it. Then keep the V1 for sports (assuming daytime outdoor sports). Just my thoughts.