1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

stay with my ep5 VS replacing it with gm5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by diegsman, Mar 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. diegsman

diegsman Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Philippines
    hi guys! hopefully anyone with user experience regarding these two bodies can put their 2 cents it or anyone who can help out in general :)

Been an m43 user with epl5 since 2013, then just recently acquired an ep5. just sold my 20 1.7 & 40-150 kit & am now left with the ff: 17 1.8, 25 1.8 & 45 1.8, & vf2. So yeah, pretty much been an oly guy.

Im mainly a hobbyist who shoot 50% portraits, 25% food, 25% street, all of which are more for enjoyment & blog purposes. Ive tried having 2 bodies before, but just seemed a bit much for my use & am now selling the epl5.

So this is my dilemma now, i kinda want a gm5.... i really don't know how i came up with the idea initially, but it's an itch i can't get over with.

--Cash value isn't a prob since in my country, me selling the ep5 vs getting a new gm5 & selling the 12-32 would be a close offset.
    --I like having a viewfinder just for having it when i need it(very seldom), but its still a neccessity.
    --i always did bring a 1 body, 3 lens setup. But recently a bit hated how bulky the ep5 is vs the epl5. and kinda want the gm5 so i can bring my cam anywhere considering the size, maybe even with just 1 lens this time around.
    --love how ep5 handles though, that dual dial is just godly compared to epl5's shutter & aperture adjusting.
    --a bit atttacted to the many more filter options of panny vs what oly offers on my body.
    --my ep5 does suffer a bit (i think) of some shutter shock, it does bug me sometimes when i pixel peep, but just a bit as its a rarity.
    --low battery of gm5 isnt an issue as i can get cheap batts.

SO, YEAH.. WITH THOSE FACTORS... SHOULD I TAKE THE SWITCH?
    would jpegs be of same results?
    would having no IS be a super big miss with my needs?
    is the tilting lcd be a miss too?
    is the handling of gm5 better than the epl5 as i heard the dial can be clicked to switch betweem shutter speed & apperture switching?
    would the panny ui be good to me being a oly uset?
    is the gm5 size factor a "real" winning plus?

sorry for the questions! theyre just some of my personal querys.... any insight would be appreciated! thanks in advance guys!

2. bremner

bremner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    If you want a viewfinder and IBIS, you might also think about keeping your eyes out for a good price on an OMD E-M10; it's actually just slightly lighter than an E-P5, and with the E-M10 mk 2 just introduced there should be some deals. Still much bigger / heaver then an epl5 or GM5, so it depends on your priorities a bit. It does have the two dials that you like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I happen to own both, though I've had the GM5 for only a couple of weeks. I've had the E-P5 since it came out.

If I had only one camera between the two, it's an easy choice for me -- the E-P5 so much nicer to use. The EVF on the GM5 is passable for composition, but it's hard to gauge exposure and focus. I find myself relying more on the automatic functions of the camera. Even the rear screen on the GM5 is a compromise for size. It is the worst rear screen I've used on any modern camera.

That said, I own both because I find a use for both (at least in theory). The GM5 is jacket-pocketable with a small lens. It won't serve the same duty as my E-P5, which is great with adapted lenses and for really enjoying the craft of photography. The GM5 is a second body, with a wide lens, in a pocket. Or a video camera on a tripod.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    speaking as a long time Panasonic user, who also owns an EP5, I'd say switching to an EM10 or MKII seems a better choice. I understand that the GM5 offers a lot in a light and compact body, the EM10 isn't really worse if you consider the price, and a more "proper" shutter.

• Like Like x 2
  5. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    The GM5 is an excellent upgrade to a GM1, retaining "pocketable" size with the addition of a much more user-friendly control wheel and, of course, the EVF. I owned both of the small Panny bodies at one time, but sold the GM5 two months ago to begin funding a GAS attack that is just now subsiding. Now I'm using the GM1 either as a second body or by itself when I want compactness and an EM1 when I want all the bells and whistles. IMO the GM5 is a good middle-grounder, and it sounds like that is what you desire. As you have been an Oly user, the GM5 would require some time to learn, but for the kind of shooting you describe, it might be worth the effort to make the change.

I found that the small form factor rangefinder style EVF in the GM5 suited me very well. And the clickable wheel is indeed very handy. FWIW, I really regret selling it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GM5 would be a compromise I don't know that I'd want to make as an only camera... That being said, it's what I gravitate towards 75% of the time these days over my EM10.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GX7 is pretty close to an E-P5 with a built in E-VF. I'd probably say E-M10/5 II though so you can stay with what you know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. luck002

luck002 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2015
    Somewhere in Indonesia
    Abu
    I had both, and sold the EP5. Guess GM5 fits me better.

For JPEG, I like GM5 more as I use Expressive filter all the time with the filter setting (the WB button turn to filter setting when using filters) set to minimum. But it's a personal taste.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like my GM5, but like my E-M1 more. All of the below comments are based on the E-M1 but are equivalent to the E-P5.

Do you ever use flash? GM5 syncs at 1/50s which is not good for much except posed subjects.

Do you find yourself wide open at ISO3200 a lot? You will miss the IBIS, especially with the 45mm. It also means you can still shoot at ISO200 or 400 at dusk.

Do you tilt the screen? You will miss it on the GM5.

Do you shoot like to use dual dials to adjust aperture and exposure comp? You will probably miss it on the GM5, even with the toggle dial.

Do you like using a tripod? The GM5 is problematic with lenses that extend below the base of the camera because most tripod plates are too big and interfere (unless you get a tiny plate). I think your small lenses are probably fine though.

Other than that, it's all a give or take.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. diegsman

diegsman Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Philippines
    wow! thanks for the response guys, gets me moving along the decision process now :)

@bremner@jyc860923@tkbslc

Never actually thought of using OMDs ever, i do know they're nice, guess i kinda always preferred the PEN rangefinder styles. Guess, I'll look into it as well now, hehe.

11. diegsman

diegsman Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Philippines
    I think your sentiments regarding what i like probably fits me best. At the end of the day, i think the questions preventing me most about the switch are:
    1. Will i like how it handles, given i really like how the EP5s is. I just hope the clickable wheel would be middle ground between EP5s dual wheel and EPL5s DPAD.
    2. Considering i have Oly Lenses 17, 25 & 45 (no plans to switch to panny lenses in the near future), will i miss the IBIS that bad. I do like to shoot those low light, face shadowed portraits with 1600s to 3200s ISOs & 1/60 & faster shutter.

12. diegsman

diegsman Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Philippines
    I think I'll not find the viewfinder that big of deal, i use the VF3, which is just an okay one, and i'm pretty contented with it. That being said, is the rear screen that bad on the GM5?? i did use the epl5 for some time, and i was okay with it.

Hi! since you made the switch i kinda want, how do you compare the dual wheels against the clickable one on usage/shutter & aperture adjusting? and any other things that you miss from the EP5?

13. diegsman

diegsman Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Philippines
    @wjiang@wjiang
    yes i do use my lenses wide open at 3200 sadly.

14. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    1. I find the Oly bodies handle slightly better. But the GM5 is significantly smaller than either Oly body that I own, so that's to be expected - something has to be sacrificed for the compact size. There would be a learning curve, but I found the GM5 to be very intuitive. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to give it a try.
    2. As @wjiang@wjiang wisely mentioned, shooting indoors at 45mm FL is certainly going to be a challenge. If you can stomach the idea of selling the O45 in favor of a P42.5, you can get good handheld shots in low light on a GM body without being rock steady. My kit includes that lens rather than the O45 for exactly that reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. diegsman

diegsman Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Philippines
    i see! thanks for answering @acnomad@acnomad
    Thought about trying it out first too, but i don't want to risk me getting the GM5 without being able to get rid of my EP5 first.
    It's a restriction i have to stick with for my own safety. haha. And someone actually also did recommend that i switch to the 42.5 as he thought it was much better than the oly45, so that might be something i can do in the future as i do like the closer focusing distance. With that in mind, will me using my 17 1.8 & 25 1.8 in indoor/low light be easier than the 45 1.8? is is strictly because of the FL?

16. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I bet you can manage reasonable sharpness using the old 35mm rule of thumb (minimum handheld shutter speed = 1 / FL). You just have to double the focal length for m4/3 because of the crop factor. Why not try some test shots with the IBIS turned off to see how your images turn out at 1/30 with the 17mm and 1/60 with the 25mm? Be like a marksman: inhale, then exhale, then squeeze.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If you really want just camera + one lens maybe consider the Panasonic LX100.

• Like Like x 1
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Do you have the firmware with the '0 sec Anti-Shock' option?

But in general having owned and used both I would take the E-P5 over the GM5 if it were one or the other. The GM5 is a nice small body camera with a lot going for it but it has to many limitations for me to be an only body. IBIS, flash sync speed, 1/500 max mechanical shutter, etc are all things that would rule it out for me. And with your lens collection losing IBIS would be notable.

If you like the size of the E-P5, want a built in EVF and don't want to go for something like the Pen F/GX8 then the GX7 is a very nice option. But I greatly prefer Olympus user experience over Panasonic so I sold my GX7.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Doesn't the fact that the fastest sync speed of 1/50s on GM5 mean its fastest global shutter speed is 1/50s, or maybe only a little faster? Those who own the GM5 do you notice scrolling shutter effect much?

• Like Like x 1
  20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    1/50 is sync, 1/500 is fastest mechanical, and 1/16000 electronic.

• Like Like x 1