Stativklemme (Tripod Collar) for Zuiko 70-300 mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Otto, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    I recently switched to m43 from 43, but wanted to use my 70-300 as it is my flower lens. I felt the weight of the lens hanging off the E-PL1, or EP-2, would be too much so I bought the Stativklemme for Zuiko 70-300 from Rudolf Rösch Feinmechanik in Germany. I couldn't find any other solution available.

The Stativklemme arrived in one week, even over the 4th of July holiday, and appeared to be very well thought out.

P7060049_01.jpg

The first step is to attach the smaller ring to the spread bar. The instructions that were sent via email explain the assembly procedure very nicely.

P7060050_02.jpg

The next two photos show the small ring attached to the lens. You can see the mark on the smaller ring that is used for alignment with the lens barrel.

P7060051_03.jpgP7060052_04.jpg

Then the front, larger, ring is installed on the lens barrel, and the spread bar. Both rings are machined and contain an "O" ring. No metal touches the lens.

P7060053_05.jpg

This photo shows the lens extended. I have the lens sitting on the spread bar. You can see the two rings at each end of the lens barrel. There doesn't seem to be any restriction of control on the lens.

P7060054_06.jpg

Here the lens is retracted to 70mm, and with the hood in place.

P7060055_07.jpg

The next shots show the lens, and camera, mounted to my Slik Sprint Pro II tripod. There are three mounting holes for the quick release plate with the one nearer the center good for the EP-2, etc. The hole near the end would be best for a much heavier body such as the E-3.

IMG_0698_08.jpgIMG_0701_09.jpgIMG_0702_10.jpg

Hope this is helpful to others that might be looking for a way to use the 70-300 without all the weight on the lens mount.

I'll post some additional shots in a reply to this one.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

• Like Like x 8
  2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thank you so much Otto ... I have been looking for exactly this sort of solution ... I posted a couple of threads here and at fourthirds-user but no-one responded ... and I've worn my fingers out Googling ... looks very good ... the website is in German only though ... also How much did it cost?

3. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Sorry, I forgot to post the cost, etc. It's $110. via PayPal, and includes shipping. I sent payment on June 29th, and received the mount yesterday.

You can contact them at:

info@roesch-feinmechanik.de

I have their PayPal account if you want to send them payment right away. They shipped very quickly.

Let me know if you need any other info. I'll post some more photos after dinner.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am getting my 70-300mm tomorrow (adapter arrived today) to use with my e-pl1. That does look quite nice, but at almost half the cost of the lens its rather spendy. For the price it would also be nice if they machined a dovetail down the length of the base plate so that it could be directly slotted with any of the dovetail ballhead manufacturers (markins, photoclam, arcaswiss, RRS).

Have you done measurements on the lens circumference at different points? I was probably going to get a generic tripod collar on ebay for $8-12 and use some soft padding to shim it as necessary. I did that with an old tokina 400mm f5.6 lens, found some padding at the craft store that was perfect for it (almost a rubbery texture, but smooth so the lens could be rotated into portrait position). It worked quite well.

5. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    I didn't take any measurements as I really hadn't gone that far in thinking about doing it myself. I agree that it's kinda pricey, but I didn't want to take any chances with my EP-2/E-PL1 + 70-300, and the ground. The nice thing is that this solution is both light weight as well as quality made. I think you can attach any manufacturer's QR plate to this mount. Anyway, for what I wanted, it's great and does the job as intended.

I thought about kludging something together myself, but then decided I probably didn't want to chance my equipment to save a few bucks. Besides, I am probably not the best candidate to build it myself. I know there are some great things created by others, but I'm not in that league.

If you do get something built, please share it with some info, and photos. I'm sure not everyone that wants a way to mount their 70-300 wants to spend what it costs for a commercial solution.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

6. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Here are some additional photos of the 70-300 with the EP-2 using the Stativklemme tripod mount.

I like how easy it is to use manual focus with this setup.
    IMG_0704_01.jpg

IMG_0710_03.jpg

I'm guessing this next one shows this isn't the best "street" combo. :rofl:
    IMG_0711_04.jpg
    Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

IMG_0714_07.jpg

Hope this is helpful,
    Otto...

• Like Like x 4
  7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I wrote Rudolf and asked him if he would make some for the Zeiss 200/2.8 MC, an older but superb mid-Tele. I don't know if it's possible because the area to grab the lens is very shallow.

Nice work on the above Otto.

Bokeh D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA

Sorry, I forgot to include this translated text for you:

Stand clamp for Zuiko 70-300

Tripod holder for the Zuiko 70- 300mm

- High-strength anodized aluminum black
    - Easy installation
    - High stability despite low clamping force on Kunststofftubus
    - Weight at 70g
    - Three tripod thread for Balance
    - small size , can thus remains permanently on the lens
    - lens cap and lens hood can be reused
    - lens hood is no longer storing the camera
    - No obstruction of the dials and focus selector

Contact

info@roesch-feinmechanik.de

We produce individually machined parts .
    We share their ideas constructively.

We are here for you , please send us your request.

Hope this helps,
    Otto...

• Like Like x 2
  9. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thanks Otto ... I used Google translate in the end which worked oK! ... I wrote and got a reply today .. 75GBP shipped to UK ... hmm

10. lmannan

lmannan New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    Greeneville, TN
    Rotating the lens within the collar?

Otto

Is it possible to rotate the lens within the collar so that the camera is in portrait position? Thanks.

Lynn

• Like Like x 2
  11. pxpaulx

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I would guess it isn't Imannan - since it isn't a clamp design, but rather holds the lens at both ends, if it were loose enough to be rotated, then the camera would always flop down too. I would guess you'd have to loosen one end of the holders to allow for some play to be able to rotate it.

I never did post in this thread again, but for what it is worth you can put together an alternative. With a lens like this on such a small camera, it isn't necessaryily an issue of weight when placing it on a tripod, but centering that weight so that it is balanced. By adding the long plate underneath and moving the camera backwards over the center of my ballhead, I was able to balance the combination. I tried the plate adapter below with a rubber stopper under the lens (further up the lens barrel), but it didn't seem necessary and I took it out. Here is (or rather, was) mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    What plate for the 70-300?

Hi I saw your post last night on an alternative mounting system for the Oly 70-300mm. What type of plate adapter did you use for this set up and where can I get one? Thanks.

13. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Ditto.

14. David Geddes

David Geddes New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2013
    Loch Carron, Scotland
    David Geddes
    Zuiko 70-300 tripod mount (stativklemme)

I have struggled to get the best from my Zuiko 70-300. I get tolerable results using a monopod in bright contrasty light. But the AF in the camera (Oly E500) and through the lens, which is slow allowing it to be made small, is very poor on small moving objects at the long end of the lens zoom.

So I bought the Stativklemme from Roesch Feinmechanik and put the lens onto a Gimbal head. What a fantastic difference. Sharp images at both ends of the zoom, much lower ISO settings, a much less 'seeking' from the AF on dull days.

I elected to use the long Arca style screw QR - so that the balance point for the lens body combination can be changed depending on zoom used and position of the tripod. If I want to go Landscape to Portrait - I can twist the lens vs the stativklemme O rings and it is done in seconds - similarly one can get true horizontal/ vertical very easily.

The product is neatly made, strong, and the transaction through my Paypal Acc was simplicity itself. Delivery from Germany to UK was very quick.

Result- my frustration with many of the shortcomings of the 70-300 have evaporated. I do use it with a 1.4 Teleconverter giving about 800 mm TF- in the old measure of TF length. Its not a prime Canon F2 lens attached to a 24Mpix sensor. But its exceptionally good in many sutuations, and has saved this lens/ body combination. The next upgrade will be to the next generation of Oly body (E5 or OM-D successor) as long as it has a 20+ Mp sensor, and keep my 6 Zuiko 4/3rd lenses in use.

15. pxpaulx

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I use arca swiss compatible plates - I don't have this setup anymore, but all I did was have a typical arca plate on the camera, then a 2nd long plate that had a clamp at one end - luckily I do still have those photos online, I just moved the album, here are the photos (note - the plates I used at the time were inexpensive from ebay as well as the quick release clamp - you can probably find all 3...of course you will need an arca compatible balhead as well, those aren't quite so cheap!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Looks really well-made. Nice find...