State of the art winery

Petrus61

Mu-43 Regular
The wines are very good, Tignanello, Solaia etc etc. The proportion of new oak is very well controlled - they have over 1000 hectares so a few new barrels goes along way :)

Petrus61

Mu-43 Regular
the new barrels in the first pic are actually Vin Santo so they will age in barrel for 3 years - any new oak flavours will have mellowed dramatically - the majority of oak flavour is imparted in the first 3 months. This then mellows over the ageing process - recently did a tasting in Chateauneuf du Pape where a wine and been aged for 4 years in 100% new oak and the oaks flavours had completely disappeared. :)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
From all my past winery visits, new barrels, after the interiors are seared, have always been set aside and 'seasoned' so to speak, so that the fresh oak doesn't overpower the wine. There was a fad here a while ago where everyone was seasoning white wine in oak (bloody awful it was) and new oak made the wine even worse.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
The wines are very good, Tignanello, Solaia etc etc. The proportion of new oak is very well controlled - they have over 1000 hectares so a few new barrels goes along way :)
From your handle, I'd presume you like to drink the good (expensive) stuff. I'm more of a Burgundy and Rhone guy personally.

Petrus61

Mu-43 Regular
Me too lived in burgundy for 10 years - Coche , roulot, Rousseau DRC etc

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

torsteinh

Mu-43 Regular
Beautiful. Visited Poggio di Sotto in May. Might look through the pictures and see if there's anything share worthy.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom