1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

State of the art winery

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Petrus61, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    This is the new state of the art winery of Antinori in Italy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Nice, but those barrels look a bit too new, not sure what the wine will be like.

3. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    The wines are very good, Tignanello, Solaia etc etc. The proportion of new oak is very well controlled - they have over 1000 hectares so a few new barrels goes along way :)

4. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    the new barrels in the first pic are actually Vin Santo so they will age in barrel for 3 years - any new oak flavours will have mellowed dramatically - the majority of oak flavour is imparted in the first 3 months. This then mellows over the ageing process - recently did a tasting in Chateauneuf du Pape where a wine and been aged for 4 years in 100% new oak and the oaks flavours had completely disappeared. :)

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    From all my past winery visits, new barrels, after the interiors are seared, have always been set aside and 'seasoned' so to speak, so that the fresh oak doesn't overpower the wine. There was a fad here a while ago where everyone was seasoning white wine in oak (bloody awful it was) and new oak made the wine even worse.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    From your handle, I'd presume you like to drink the good (expensive) stuff. I'm more of a Burgundy and Rhone guy personally.

7. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    Me too lived in burgundy for 10 years - Coche , roulot, Rousseau DRC etc

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Love the architecture, cool shots! :cool:

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Wonderful shots!

10. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    Beautiful. Visited Poggio di Sotto in May. Might look through the pictures and see if there's anything share worthy.