Starting to get a hang of my E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been shooting with the E-PL2 for the last several days and I'm starting to get a good feel for the camera's strength and limitations. I'm actually pretty impressed. I like the form factor, in fact I'm not sure I'd pay the premium to get an E-PL3. AF is slower than my G3 and so is the shutter lag, but once you figure your timing, you can start nailing shots. I sort of wish it had a touch screen, but the button/scroll wheel works pretty fast. The lack of the AF assist light isn't so bad, as long as you're not shooting in complete darkness. OOC jpegs are amazing as everyone has been saying. The ability to adjust gradation is a great touch and I wish other camera brands...cough*Panasonic*cough...would implement it! It's a little on the big side, but it has a very good grip. Olympus paint scratches easy, which I find a little annoying. Other than that, I have to say this camera is a great deal. I'm sort of tempted to get another one now! For the price/performance ratio, it's probably one of the sweet spot cameras in the m43 line-up. It almost feels like a sleeper camera as even Olympus has seemed to sweep it under the rug, while still pushing the E-PL1 as the entry level camera. :confused:

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I got the E-PL2 a few weeks ago. Got it as a semi-upgrade to the E-P1. So far I'm really digging it. And yes, considering the price of these bad boys, I'm not sure why anyone would still get the E-PL1. I love the grip on the camera. If the E-PL3 had the same grip, i would have purchased it instead.

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually prefer the form factor over the new E-PL3. It feels more like a traditional camera when handling. Image quality blows away the GF2 and in someways best the newer G3. :eek:

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I love the handling. As far as IQ, I don't know about that:eek: For the most part, I think its a step up over the E-P1. I'm still trying to figure out what color mode I like to shoot in.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Same deal here. Semi-upgrade from EP1 (only question is to sell the EP1 or keep both). Much more affordable, and a very competent camera.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think going to get an Epl2 as weel to complement my Pana bodies.

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went shooting with my buddy who owns an X100. He was actually impressed at my lowly E-PL2! He thought the gradation adjustment on the E-PL2 was pretty cool :smile:

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, I'm really digging the art filters on the E-PL2. Man this camera is getting addicting!

9. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Me too, was on holiday and took 8,000+ pics but still not sure about which color! So far, I have it on vivid at +2 on contrast, sat and sharpness. If I use natural, colors are far from real most of the time, but vivid still applies too much magenta as well. I find it is the best compromise for me since I only do scenic shots and then I post process by using -5 for red on the rgb on my pc software to get it looking close. Most of the time -5, sometimes -10 and sometimes just leave it alone as it looks good.

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I read a review somewhere which said that the most accurate colour rendition with the E-P3 was the "muted" setting. I tried that with my P3 and found it gave a reasonably natural rendition but I'm in Queensland, Australia which is sub-tropical, heading into summer, and can have quite harsh light when the sun is high. In other latitudes and seasons YMMV. I seem to have gravitated back to the "natural" setting and I find I'm still giving my images a bit of a kick in Aperture, mainly adjusting highlight and shadow levels and applying slight boosts in saturation and vibrancy.

11. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    That is where I just took my 8,000+ photos, Queensland :biggrin: When the sun was high, it was difficult to figure out which way to go, but nevertheless, got some great shots. The one thing I discovered on this trip is that I still have a lot to learn about my camera and photography in general.

I did notice though that my e-pl2 is not consistent. I tried several times to take evening shots with my camera on a ledge with no movement and some came out crisp and many blurry. Still confused about that one.

12. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Blurry as in out of focus, or blurry as in movement blur? Don't forget that if the camera is totally static that IS should turned OFF.... I should know, I forget to turn it off all the time.... :smile:

13. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Aaaaahhhhhhhh! I wish I would have known that "before" my trip!!! Blurry as in out of focus. Still thanks for the tip DeHog, it's a never ending learning experience!