1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Starting my venture into Film! (Pentax content)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ryansinibaldi, Apr 19, 2012.

1. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    A very nice gentleman responding to a post on local forums to my area (it's a retirement area) and told me he had a free camera and accessories I could have.

Seen below:

Pentax SP 500 Spotmatic (needs a battery, hopefully the light meter works)
    SMC Tak 35mm F3.5
    Super Tak 55mm F2
    Vivitar Auto 135mm F2.8

6948826320_91579270b5_z.
    New toy :) by ryansinibaldi, on Flickr

Not pictured:

Bag, books, manuals, filters, film, original boxes!

I am pretty excited as this is my first venture into film. I've also ordered an M42 adapter (I hope the fotodiox one is decent) to use these on my EPL-1. Are these decent lenses? Any tips for a beginning even though I plan do do a lot of reading?

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

YOU got a great camera to use film with. Even if the light meter does not work you will still be able to use it , I believe its all mechanical with the battery only used for the light meter. If it doesn't work you can pick up a cheep hand held selenium meter on the auction site. I once got one for 2 dollars that worked great, and exposure readings were spot on.. Until i dropped it :(
    Maybe you would also get into B&W and developed your own negatives.
    .. You should have years of use out of this thing. Its like a tank. Also i am always very pleased when someone ventures into the the film camera world and does not go with the old Minolta. Mainly because that's my area and i don't want more competition on eBay for those lenses..lol

3. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    My next buy is a Minolta film SLR to use some of my Minolta lenses :tongue:.

Edit: It is all mechanical I just wouldn't be able to guess what shutter speeds I'd need to be at in certain light. It has been sitting in a closet/bag for the last 40 years so I hope it works!

4. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    Also recommendations on good bw/color film would be nice too!

5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You can just use your micro four thirds camera as a meter, if you have a smart phone, you can get a app that uses your camera phone as a meter.

Print film especially black and white have pretty decent lattitude.

Which Minolta lenses do you have. There have been at least two mounts.

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The Takumar lenses have great reputations, hope you enjoy them. I don't have experience with those specific lenses but you can read user reviews of the lenses (and other Pentax gear) on Pentax Forums

7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Ah... a Pentax K-1000 was the first "grown up" camera I used and learned photography on w/ Kodak Tri-X 400. I have a real soft spot for those- I have a KX and a KM I still use, love 'em.

I second developing your own film at home too- it's quite easy once you get it set up. Freestyle photo is an excellent resource for developing chems + materials.

I also recommend trying out Arista's + Kentemere's black and white films (iso 100-400), and Fotokemika Efke KB25 (iso 25)- see how you like those, and if you do- you can buy them in bulk rolls of 100' and get yourself a bulk loader and roll your own film spools. You know.... if that's your thing, I'm just gettin' all sentimental now :redface:

8. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    I have MC/MD mount lenses I believe? Such as the Minolta 50mm F1.7 (55mm filter thread), a Zykkor 28mm F2.8 Auto Macro, and a Vivitar 80-200mm F4.5.

I did manage to find a battery today that somewhat fit my camera (with a rubber O ring) to get my light meter working!

I'll definitely look into that! I'd absolutely love to process and develop my own film. But I have no idea what the process entail's or how expensive it is.

9. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    If you haven't already seen this site, it has a wealth of information for Minolta cameras.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Processing film isn't very expensive and only requires a processing tank + a few chemicals. As with all chemistry work, you can't cut corners or be sloppy, you must be precise and careful, but it isn't difficult, basically you're following a recipe. Required precision : a couple of seconds and half a celsius degree.

Printing pictures out of the film to paper with an enlarger is a different story. There's more room for feeling, experience, and tricks-of-the-trade. It's also considerably more expensive and time consuming. I'd advise you to scan your self-processed films first before tackling printing.

But nonetheless, processing is mostly boring and simply justified by cost reduction, while printing is immensely enjoyable as a form of craft or art, by itself.

Cheers,

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's a nice kit there that you've acquired!

As far as what's the best film...well....IMHO there is no "best film" per se'. For me personally, my choice of film is dependent upon what effect I'm trying to get. :smile:

12. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    thats a great camera that opens up a lot of great lenses for your selection. there are some wonderful m42 lenses out there (i personally still use the 55mm 1.8 SMC Pentax lens and it's my go to lens for great bokeh.) the Helios FSU lens and the Pentax m42 lens still provide a solid selection too.

be careful though, i went film with a PEN F and a OM-1, and i find it harder and harder to go back to digital.

13. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    This weekend I actually didn't bring my digital camera with me for once! I think I'm going to enjoy film alot.

What other companies used the same m42 mount?

14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Remember to install a light meter app on your smart phone or something. It was the most useful thing for me in shooting film. I think after a while i'll learn the exposure parameters naturally an enhance the experience of shooting film.

Have fun!

As for m42 lenses there were tons of companies that used the mount, just do a quick search on craiglist with "m42"

15. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    I actually managed to fit a hearing aid battery in the camera with a small rubber washer and got the light meter working. I tested it against my EPL1 and it was nearly spot on!

16. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    Here are my first test shots! I used some basic Kodak Gold 200 and swapped between my 35mm SMC Takumar F3.5 and 135mm Vivitar Auto Telephoto F3.5. Unfortunately Walgreens scanned the negatives in a really low resolution machine so I'm looking at other options. I don't live anywhere near a real film processing place so my only choices are Walgreens, Walmart, and CVS. I'm going to try and find out who scans at the highest resolution.

7111424459_246b1ab32c_c.
    Untitled by ryansinibaldi, on Flickr

6965347432_470df869fb_c.

6965346572_216ac29599_c.

6965345182_b5a17d5d09_c.

6965344108_7742251f96_c.

7111418309_71f0d586e1_c.

6965341776_e3ba1040f8_c.

8. 6965340966_1b3b5e8e35_c.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    An Epson V600 scanner will get you very far :smile:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Oh and...
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Kodak Gold 200 :smile:

19. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    Can it scan just the negatives with good resolution? Unfortunately I know nothing about scanning as of yet.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Look at my film shots here & on Flickr - they were scanned with an Epson V500 :smile: