Starting from scratch again

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Maczero, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    f1.7 full frame. Sounds excellent. Rangefinder with eccentric controls from the PoV of the digital age. Yikes!

Olympus 35-SP here I come - a learning experience all the way which I hope will improve my digital photography. And in case I get to stressed out, a camera that needs no power source and only 4 focusing choices: the Olympus Trip.

Not being able to alter ISO at the drop of a hat leads to a whole new approach: I'd better invest in some ND filters and, do I really want to use ISO 400 film with a f1.7 lens in summer light.

Like I said, starting from scratch again. It's exciting.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    The SP is great. Ditto the Trip 35. Pop in some Velvia 50 or Ilford HP4 and you're all set.

Have you seen these ?
    Trip Man

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    oh gawd, now there's another camera I need.....that Trip 35 is SHARP!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Film takes much more prep work than digital.

" ... do I really want to use ISO 400 film with a f1.7 lens in summer light ..."

ASA 400 film is a good all-around ASA. The answer to your question begs another question ... what do you plan to shoot and what do you want the final image to reflect? ( Which is two questions ...)

If you want shallow DOF and/or blurry movement ...then the answer is probably not. Part of the pre-shooting prep work is thinking about the image you wish to capture and taking the appropriate setup. If you desire to shoot at f/1.7 in bright daylight then a lower ASA film would be helpful to attain a lower shutter speed and ND filters may not be necessary.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Thanks for the kind good wishes. You are right - film needs more thought than digital. Perhaps we have become a little lazy mentally? Once you have loaded a film you are committed ...

Andrew

6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Yup.. That was where I got my trip - pointed to the site by a post by Ken Rockwell of all people.

They are massively cheaper than second hand film Leicas and have excellent glass. Seems like a good starting point for getting involved in film again.

Andrew

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA