Starting from scratch again

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Maczero, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    f1.7 full frame. Sounds excellent. Rangefinder with eccentric controls from the PoV of the digital age. Yikes!

Olympus 35-SP here I come - a learning experience all the way which I hope will improve my digital photography. And in case I get to stressed out, a camera that needs no power source and only 4 focusing choices: the Olympus Trip.

Not being able to alter ISO at the drop of a hat leads to a whole new approach: I'd better invest in some ND filters and, do I really want to use ISO 400 film with a f1.7 lens in summer light.

Like I said, starting from scratch again. It's exciting.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The SP is great. Ditto the Trip 35. Pop in some Velvia 50 or Ilford HP4 and you're all set.

Have you seen these ?
    Trip Man

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    oh gawd, now there's another camera I need.....that Trip 35 is SHARP!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Film takes much more prep work than digital.

" ... do I really want to use ISO 400 film with a f1.7 lens in summer light ..."

ASA 400 film is a good all-around ASA. The answer to your question begs another question ... what do you plan to shoot and what do you want the final image to reflect? ( Which is two questions ...)

If you want shallow DOF and/or blurry movement ...then the answer is probably not. Part of the pre-shooting prep work is thinking about the image you wish to capture and taking the appropriate setup. If you desire to shoot at f/1.7 in bright daylight then a lower ASA film would be helpful to attain a lower shutter speed and ND filters may not be necessary.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Thanks for the kind good wishes. You are right - film needs more thought than digital. Perhaps we have become a little lazy mentally? Once you have loaded a film you are committed ...

Andrew

6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Yup.. That was where I got my trip - pointed to the site by a post by Ken Rockwell of all people.

They are massively cheaper than second hand film Leicas and have excellent glass. Seems like a good starting point for getting involved in film again.

Andrew

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA