1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Starting fresh, which lens set-up?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by harry_s, Jul 19, 2011.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm just in the process of selling my Nikon D90 and Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR as I recently picked up a Olympus E-PL2 and fell in love with it.

I should have in the region of £1500 to spend and currently only own the kit lens, I would like to go wider than the kit lens, have reasonable zoom (at least 400mm equivalent hopefully) and a nice fast prime.

I'm thinking:

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (£290)
    Olympus 9-18mm (£550)
    Panasonic 100-300mm (£470)

(the new Olympus 45mm will be added to my kit this Christmas anyway)

Would anyone suggest any different? I do a bit of everything really from travel to wildlife. I've seen quite a bit of conflicting advice on telephotos. My main concern is the telephoto, I'm wondering if it will feel too big on the E-PL2...but it's worth considering I'm tempted to add a G3 to my kit in the near future so presumably that would offer slightly better balance.

The only slight curve ball is that I love motorsport, whilst clearly nothing in the M43 range is even going to come close to my D90/70-200 kit, I would like to find the best possible camera/lens combo to give it a bash (I love a challenge!), am I right in thinking currently the G3 + 100-300 is probably going to be the best combination?

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Nope, the 9-18mm and 20mm make a great small pair, and the 100-300mm is a pretty nice telephoto. If you've already got the kit lens, not much missing from that setup IMO (aside from a fisheye and macro, which you've pointed out you'll be buying as well).

3. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    My most used are the 20mm and the 14-45. I have the 9-18 but I don't use it much, although when I do I generally like the results.
    I have no use for long zooms, have the 200 but rarely use it, but thats more me than any lens problems.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 45-200 is half the price of the 100-300, and combined with the 9-18 and kit would give you a 35 mm equivalent range of 18-400 with no gaps.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have found the 45-200 to be an excellent lens. It's certainly a terrific bang for the buck. I have the panasonic 14, 20 and 45-200 and that seems to work well for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.