Starting a "Summer of Pictures"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Jun 24, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I did it last year and it jaws a really great experience so I decided to do it again this year. So, here is what I have planned...starting July 4th and running until The unofficial end if Summer here in the NW on September 3rd I will be taking at minimum a picture a day and posting them to my Zenfolio account.

It was a terrific learning experience last year and I was really happy with what came of it. I'd love to have company this year. We could start a thread and posting our work and sharing with the mu-43 community. I'd love to see us put the focus more on image making and less on what shiny new bit of gear we just have. The exciting thing about this forum is the collection of folks that have a love of photography and I think a little challenge can provide a change of pace over the "which is better" and "what to buy" threads. Maybe even inspire some folks to get out and play with their shiny new gear.

The rules are pretty simple.

1. Try and create at last one picture a day (which is harder than you might imagine)*
    2. Post to a Summer of Pictures thread that I'll set up
    3. Have fun

* if you miss a day just get right back on the horse and post the next day. No one's checking :biggrin: I'll get the thread going on July 1st . Anyone with me?

• Like Like x 3
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'll give it a shot. Taking the pictures isn't so hard for me, posting them is the hard part.

I've had the idea of going out to Plum Island* every day at 5 am to do a series of the habitat. This seems like the little extra motivation I need.

*Plum Island is a coastal barrier island a few miles from my home. Salt marsh, sand dunes, scrubby woodland, sandy beach and all the flora and fauna that goes with all that.

Fred

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I already have a 365 project going on my facebook, and you are right it is quite challenging. I can share some here if you want to start a thread.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll let you know as soon as the thread is going. iit'd be great to have you post stuff. A 365 challenge has got to be quite an undertaking. My hat's off to you.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That would be awesome.

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I like this idea a lot, I'm game to give it a try :thumbup:

It sounds like a challenging project and I'm sure it'll break my out of my comfort zone, not to mention provide lots more practice making images!

7. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    I'm in. Doing my own little 365 project using colors as monthly themes.

8. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I am in on this task.

frank

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    But its winter here man :eek:

Seriously, good idea....i just imagine how time poor I am and realise very quickly how difficult something like that could turn out to be.

I'll keep my eyes peeled how this develops....I just may give it a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    right on, sounds like fun... Hopefully tommorow is better.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/7440269404/" title="20120625-_1200250-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">"500" height="375" alt="20120625-_1200250-Edit.jpg"></a>

11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I always find these project 365 activities very challenging. I will try, though.

12. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I am game!

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Awesome...nice to see all the interested folks. I'll get he thread going on July 4th and everyone is welcome to share. It's nice to share images and see what other folks are doing. I'll come back here and everyone that has expressed interest I'll send you a PM to remind you as we get closer.

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I will do my best, but I already know photo-a-day is a hard pace to maintain!

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, I tend to think of the summer of pictures as a whole as opposed to getting too wrapped up in the daily thing. I try and create something daily but life has a funny way of getting in the way sometimes. I'd be thrilled just to have you participating in any way you could.

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This sounds like fun...I'm in! I've been considering starting a "project 365" type thing for a while to get myself to make more photos, but this two-month timeframe seems like an easier commitment. :wink:

Does anyone have experience with any of the "one picture a day" sites that are out there, like 365project, project365, blipfoto, shuttercal or momentile. Some of these offer interesting interfaces but I find myself really drawn to blipfoto which enforces the one photo a day rule by checking the EXIF data. I guess I'll probably just set up a gallery on SmugMug, but I was just curious if anyone has found any of these purpose-built sites that add value to the whole "one photo a day" concept.

17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I have sort of an odd question. I have a friend who is also new to photography and he liked the idea of this summer pictures project after I mentioned it to him, but... he doesn't own a MFT camera (FWIW, he's using an original Canon Rebel XT and a Super Takumar 50mm).

Would it be ok if he participates here, despite not actually being a MFT user? I wasn't sure if that'd be awkward given the nature of the forum. :tongue:

18. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    lol I may not be around tommorow, so I'll start early... Maybe I'll be tubing...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/7500705444/" title="20120625-_1200265.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">"640" height="512" alt="20120625-_1200265.jpg"></a>

19. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Well, I'll start how I like to start everything:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    I've never tried something like this before, but I'll see if I can keep up. This is a shot from this morning's hike of the Mt Galbraith trail near Golden, Colorado. E-PL1 and P20mm.
    Mt_Galbraith_Trail.