Starting a 365 selfy project

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by beanedsprout, Jul 31, 2013.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Tips? Tricks? Ideas? I'm horrible at taking pictures and there probably exist less than 10 photos of me ever taken (not really but still), and I've really no idea how to go about doing it. The idea came about because I don't have an avatar of me for this site, using one of my photos of someone else would be weird, obviously I am not a landscape or abandoned building, nothing really seems to fit. So I want one of me. So I might as well take 365. Or a couple thousand and use 365 of the best.

I've got 3 flashes, couple soft boxes, umbrellas, remote triggers, a good lens or two, and an OK camera, to let you know what I have to work with. Also might do some IR/full spectrum stuff as I really like the way hair looks in IR. Obviously I'll get me doing hobbies, but I want weird requests and ideas because I need to expand my creativity.

2. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    This sounds tough! Are you going to post here daily?

3. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yeah that's actually a good idea. I was just going to post it on Flickr but I might as well put it up here as well to get some feedback

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't worry, with all the practice you'll be getting I'm sure you'll be the expert on selfies soon enough. :) I hate doing them, personally.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Find any and all manner of reflective surfaces and do a series of "fun house mirror" type selfies. Virtual images still count, right?

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Why limit yourself to only selfies? I would think 365 days of self portraits would get rather tiresome?

7. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    What do you suggest? I take pictures almost every day anyway, the only thing I don't shoot is myself. Definitely not as pretty as any of the girls I situate in front of my lenses. But yeah, I might get bored. Which would be awful. I don't want to be bored with photography. But it could also be a lot of fun

8. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    you could get creative with Selfies... Such as setting up for a multiplicity shots. where you are in 3 or 4 different positions..

I tried that out once...

Or here are few others better than my shot...

4807363831_8fc6d531d3_z.

3430721136_466c5e1680_m.

561389803_55253cb91c_o.

Click here to see more on flickr: Flickr Search: multiplicity

Here is another link I found on DPS.. Self Portrait Photography Tips

It will challenging to fill 365 days.. but that is the fun part of these challenges... You could always change it to a 52week Selfie :)

Give it a go...

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm not against a 365 at all (I'm doing one myself), I just thought limiting it to self portraits is... too limiting. In any case, you can do plenty of self portraits in a regular 365. I'm at day 61 and I've got about 12 selfies in there, but it's nice to have freedom to shoot whatever. It prevents any chance of burning out on the whole thing.

Funny enough my shot today was a self portrait. :smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/9409762875/" title="61/365 Discovery by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 9409762875_3aa5214ac0_c. "600" height="800" alt="61/365 Discovery"></a>

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Noah Kalina is been doing it for more than twelve years

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/iPPzXlMdi7o?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/iPPzXlMdi7o?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Noah takes a photo of himself every day for 12.5 years - YouTube

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    It seems that just about every cell phone user (certainly here in Thailand) has already taken on this project and usually takes at least a dozen selfies per day.

12. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio