Start Point Lighthouse, south Devon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by grebeman, Nov 15, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Whether it was the weather, just me or the new drugs that I'm on, but I felt more positive today than I have for several weeks, so I went the 5 miles or so (I can here the foghorn from my home at times) to the lighthouse at Start Point to take some photographs, a project I've had in mind for some time.
    The weather was glorious and the clouds the bonus I had been wishing for.
    In old English start means tail and indeed Start Point is like a long tail, a narrow peninsula of hard rock jutting out form the south end of Start Bay.

Panasonic GF1 with 20mm, f/1.7 lens, iso 200, 1/500, f/8

Panasonic GF1 with 15mm, f/4.5 Voigtlander Super Heliar, iso 200, 1/500, f/11

Panasonic GF1 with 12mm, f/5.6 Ultra Wide-Helier lens, iso 200, 1/500, f/8
    The view on the north side of the peninsula looking along Start Bay, the first village in the left 1/3 is Hallsands, below the line of white properties you can see 2 lower buildings, these are all that remain of south Hallsands that was destroyed in a severe gale in 1917, 30 houses were lost that night, although thankfully there were no casualties.
    Beyond is Beesands and then in the far distance on the right hand 1/3 can be amde out the village of Torcross at the south end of Slapton Ley

Panasonic GF1 with 12mm, f/5.6 Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar, iso 200, 1/200, f/11
    looking east back towards the lighthouse, and yes they are field mushrooms in the very bottom left of shot

Panasonic GF1 with 20mm, f/1.7 lens, iso 100, 1/160, f/11
    Start Point Lighthouse from Peartree Point

Panasonic GF1 with 75mm, f/2.5 Color Heliar

Panasonic GF1 with 45mm, f/2.8 Leica Elmarit
    There is a large bulk carrier on the horizon that will cross outside of Start Bay to pick up a pilot off Brixham for it's passage up the English Channel to its destination

All photographs uncropped, raw files post processed in Bibble Pro 5.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Very nice set.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    These are splendid Barrie, and as well as lovely images, the selection of lenses used in similar light conditions makes for instructive comparisons ... to my relatively inexperienced eye, the Leica image has an extra snap (pun unintentional)to it, but the Lumix is well within sight ...
  4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    I have to say that I've struggled a bit with the Leica as a macro lens, I much prefer my Sigma 105mm f/2.8 for that use, and not just because it's a longer lens, but for use as a "normal" lens it really is superb.

5. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Lovely shots Barrie. You lucky man, to get weather/skies like those. Here's a detail of rock down at Beesands. I'm only just getting round to going through them properly three months on. Should keep me out of trouble in the dark months. I'll post some more as I get around to processing them. This one with the 14-45 at 39mm/200ASA. Keep well.

Attached Files:

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi Michael,
    Yes I was well blessed with the weather, lucky in that I can assess the cloud cover for that site from my home (the radio masts are easily visible), so my long wait paid dividends. Perhaps it will now have to be sunrise/sunset shots in that area, although the angle of light is critical and there is no way you can get a different angle to photograph the subject, unless you're out in a boat.
    I like your rock detail (been another project in the back of my mind for a day with soft light), nice veins of quartz running through it, it could be a photograph from outer space of an alien planet.
    Hopefully bringing back memories of a good holiday.
    Thanks for the best wishes, and stay well yourself.

7. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    A very nice set,
    I particularly like the first image, you are a bit of a master with that 12mm UW.
    Brilliant day for photography.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nolaSafari

nolaSafari Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    I like number 5, the sea foam and the cloud bank are excellent. I only wish I had that scenery here.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    These are beautiful! I think my favorite is "Start Point Lighthouse from Peartree Point" The foam in the foreground has the look of wide angle, yet the background including the lighthouse are not deminished and the whole shot has a classic look. I really love it.
    • Like Like x 1