1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Starry sky photography with E-PL5/kit zoom possible?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Agent_K64, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    To be more specific, I'm curious if I stand a chance to capture a shooting star during the Geminid meteor shower which peaks tomorrow night. :) I realize that the kit zoom lens is probably not very good for this task, but it's all I have at the moment, so I'm wondering if I can somehow make it work.

Does anyone have any experience with this and knows which settings would work best with this camera + lens?

From what little I've read about this subject, the idea is to use a long shutter speed in time lapse mode (the latter of which can be achieved in Olympus cameras by exploiting the Anti Shock + continuous shooting features together).

A wide angle lens is preferred, to capture more area in the sky, since you don't know where the shooting stars will appear. 14mm will probably work fine here.

But what about aperture? I hear the kit zoom is a bit sharper when the aperture is not fully open, but on the other hand, having more light is quite valuable when shooting stars, I would imagine.

...which ties into shutter speed. I'm guessing that 2 seconds or longer is needed here.

What about ISO? The E-PL5 is quite good with noise at high ISO settings, but that's always a relative thing. Should I stick with 200 for the lowest possible noise, or do you find 400 or 800 is fine?

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: In case I'm not being clear, this is the kind of shot I'm hoping to get:
    01+first+attempt+-+shooting+star.

2. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Most of the time for astro photo people take a wide aperture as they can get and use high ISO to reduce the exposure time. Otherwise as the universe is not a stationary thing you get star trails.

In your case you are trying to get something moving and get trails but only for the shooting star. So I am guessing similar settings.

Shutter speeds really depends on what you are doing and what you want to get out of it.

Finally you are not going to get much of anything if you are shooting in a big city. Unless what you are shooting is going to be really bright, all you'll see if a yellow haze and a few of the brighter stars from all the sodium lights.

You can google for more info, many astro photo websites and forums.

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I been looking at the sky for a half hour and seen nothing.. What direction should I be looking at?