1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Stanley, Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by wilson.c, Mar 3, 2010.

1. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    Stanley is known for it's Market and is one of the 'must-go' places for tourists when they come and visit Hong Kong. You will find an interesting array of little shops selling silk garments, sportswear, art, Chinese costume jewelry and souvenirs. While a bit 'touristy', it will certainly help you to cross off all the items on your souvenirs-to-buy-Aunt-Jane shopping list. A hard morning of shopping is also nicely finished off by a good lunch at one of the many restaurants, which are the reason that Hong Kong locals also frequent the area.

Taken with my GF-1 and Contax RF Biogon 21/4.5

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Was there in 1983. Would love to visit HK again. A very nice selection of images.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Wilson, I really enjoy seeing the many places in the world I have yet to visit. I was surprised and pleased not to see a cityscape. Not that they can't be wonderful, but that's the view of Hong Kong I'm used to seeing, probably photos more geared to the business community.

So you just happened upon that couple who was getting married?! Very nice. My favorite of them all, is the little blue restaurant/bar with that Budweiser awning - love the scene and all the different elements that work together to make it so special - a great little worn jewel of a place...and love those cars, too!:thumbup:

4. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks for the comments.

I used to go up to Victoria Peak and take photos of the cityscape and spectacular long-exposures in the evening as well. Progress has taken it's toll in the territory and with increasing 'haze' (a.k.a. 'smog') due to everyone moving their factories to southern China, we don't get many clear days in the winter to shoot anymore X-( There are new even more 'touristy' spots that even I haven't been to yet, like the Big Buddah in one of the outlying islands.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

I love Hong Kong. I first visited in, I think, 1987 when I was living in Japan and have been back a few times since though not in very recent years. Stanley was always a lot of fun!

6. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Nice shots. I'm off to Hong Kong in May, haven't been for 5 years so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference and doing plenty of street photography too.

Do you know where I might be able to buy a GGS screen protector for my GF1?

7. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Never been and will prolly never go, so I enjoy these shots even more. Thanks so much for sharing...Cheers

8. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    Glen,

I've got my screen protector from Mirama Camera on Stanley Street in Central. Forgot if it was a GGS or not, but I think it was Japanese made. Ask for Ben or Wendy, tell them Wilson sent you ;-) Remember to avoid the camera shops in Tsim Sha Tsui, most will take you for a ride!

Give me a shout before you head off, I've got to make some trips in May, but we could meet up.

Wilson

• Like Like x 1
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    enjoyed the pics, thanks from nyc

10. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks Wilson, I ordered a GGS protector from HK and when it arrived this week I broke it! I've managed to find a UK supplier for a replacement but I'll look out for Mirama Camera, it's always nice to know about good dealers, rather than the crooks in TST. I'll give you a shout later in April.

11. jesse

jesse Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hong Kong
    Good place to visit