Standing behind the product.....

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by usayit, Dec 11, 2014.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just posting this to remind people what companies who discover a design problem are suppose to do......

"Leica offers a free replacement service for the CCD sensors of cameras affected by this problem as a goodwill arrangement. This goodwill arrangement applies regardless of the age of the camera and also covers sensors that have already been replaced in the past."

Whether or not you like Leica... that's besides the point. I wish more companies did this... especially when it comes to safety related issues.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    That's certainly good customer relations.

Nikon also offered a similar service some years ago.

I bought a CP5700 in 2003 or thereabouts. Eventually I upgraded to a D70S. A year or two later, I charged the battery and fired up the 5700 for old times sake, and noted that both the EVF and images were just showing purple bands.
    I just put it back in the cupboard somewhat sadly. A few years on and read that Nikon was offering to replace the sensor free of charge - also regardless of age or warranty status. The camera was way out of warranty by this time.

I rang the Nikon Australia rep and they confirmed that they would repair for free. It still works fine. Far to "clunky" to use now but it did have a good lens in its day.
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Interesting. The DPR article initially stated that replacement was limited to cameras three years old or less - I wonder if Leitz changed their policy, or if DPR initially had incorrect information when they published the article.