1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Standard zoom choices for GX1 & E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dre_tech, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm a little unsure how to proceed with the standard zoom "premium" lenses.

• I now have the Panasonic 14-42 X PZ - from the GX1 kit, have no issues with it, could be sharper at 42mm.
    • I've preordered the OM-D with the 12-50 - From the reviews it looks adequate, slow & a bit soft at the far end. I'd use the macro function, and it sounds useful to have a weather sealed lens when I travel somewhere tropical. I don't like that it makes the camera look more like an SLR, I prefer something more incognito for walking around.
    • I'm assuming the 12-35 f/2.8 will be attractive IQ-wise & worth the money, so I'd probably want it. I use the equivalent Tamron f/2.8 on my Canon EOS.
    The obvious issue is that by the end of the year I would have 3 standard range zooms that will see little use next to my primes & the 7-14.

When it comes to my use, as I got the Oly 45 I would switch between the 45 and the power zoom (used at 14 - 25mm). Then I got the 7-14, so I started favoring that instead of the 14-42PZ. Recently I picked up the Panasonic 20 f/1.7, and now I really don't see much use for the standard zoom. Before I picked up the 20 it had the size & OIS advantage, now its only advantage is the OIS.

I'm not big on manual focus lenses or SLR size lenses as I'd like to fit my kit in my Retrospective 5 (maybe not once I have 2 bodies). I do intend to pick up a 45-175 X or maybe 35-100 X if they'll work well with the E-M5 IS-wise.

I was wondering how others felt about these zooms if you were to keep the GX1 & E-M5.

Thanks for your input & opinions.
    Andrei

2. Sharp zoom lens?

Panasonic 14-140mm f4-5.8 OIS

- Ideal zoom lens to compliment the 7-14mm
    - 10x zoom range, avoids the need to buy the 45-175
    - Very effective OIS to suit your GX1

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Optical IS should switch off on the Olympus bodies. The 35-100mm/2.8 will probably be a good bet, but I wouldn't bother with the slow 45-175mm which only adds a power-zoom.

If not the Lumix X 35-100mm then go for the Lumix 14-140mm or m.Zuiko 14-150mm instead.

4. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks guys for the idea with the all-in-one zoom. I considered it more of a video or convenience lens, and not quite as sharp on the long end as dedicated telephoto zooms. I'll re-read some reviews.

Still considering whether to get the E-M5 body or 12-50 kit, I don't know whether to spend $300 for macro mode & weatherproof walkaround.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Micro Four-Thirds super-zooms are an anomaly in the camera world. Normally a superzoom will be not only slower but also softer than more dedicated zoom lenses (just like a zoom lens will be softer than a prime). This was even true of the Four-Thirds Zuiko superzoom (the 18-180mm). However, the 14-150mm and 14-140mm available in :43: mount are surprisingly sharp.

I think you should have a weather-proof lens, but I wouldn't pick the 12-50mm. I would get the sealed MMF-3 adapter and pick up the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II. You simply can't get by a fast lens when you need it (and when you're shooting in dismal weather wouldn't a wide aperture be the thing to have?), and the 14-54mm is also very compact.

6. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010

I highly second the OM-D + MMF-3 + Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 mkII combination. That lens, which I have, has become my workhorse for my professional commercial and fashion photography. You can see it at Fotosiamo Fotografie by Joe Gunawan

7. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks to both of you. I've seen lens reviews around with the 14-54 mk II used a reference, and for good reason. IQ-wise it appears to be worth every penny. I'll have a good look in person at the all-in-one zooms as well, but I think adapter and the 14-54 mkII sounds more promising.

The only trouble is that I used to be a Canon guy! These days all it means is product photos at the little studio at work with my 350D in tethered shooting... :frown:

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not quite sure I understand the "look more like an SLR" comment. The OMD does look like an SLR. It looks like nothing but an SLR. No matter what lens you put on it.

Aside from that, if you don't like the size of the 12-50, I suspect you'll not like the 12-35 either. With an f 2.8 aperture, it's not going to be small.

9. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    Ned said: I would get the sealed MMF-3 adapter and pick up the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II.

Does anyone have a photo of this combination on a micro 4/3 camera? I'm just about ready to pre order an EM5 and I'm thinking this combination would be the way to go if the size looks reasonable.

Thanks,
    Dennis

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    flash_bracket_web.

This is the E-P1, which is like the OM-D without the viewfinder hump, and using the existing Four-Thirds mount adapters which are the same size as the new weather sealed MMF-3 (still a pre-order item). Of course, you can ignore the light setup. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    What I mean is that other than the pentaprism hump SLRs generally have a generous size lens attached compared to the MFT 14-42 kits and pancakes. I prefer something more incognito to go with the black E-M5, that's all.

My 7-14 is big enough for walking around, but it's very useful. Similarly since the 12-35 will be f/2.8, is a good enough reason to carry a larger than pancake lens. I'm just not sure I'd want to carry around a 8.28cm long lens, the 12-50, attached to my camera if it's not even very good/useful.