Stand alone raw reader for Olympus cameras I use 5 mark 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Michael Sans, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Michael Sans

Michael Sans New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    I usually copy my images on SD card to my hard drive into a named file of the event or
    location including the date I took the shots. sometimes it would be nice to be able to view thumbnails via a stand alone raw reader. does anyone know of one please?

2. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    Irfanview, XnView, Rawtherapee and lots of others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    FastRawViewer is fantastic for reviewing RAW files. Both thumbnail views and full resolution views are available close to to instantly without the need for importing. A lot of people use it for first pass culling prior to importing into a catalog.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I use Xnview MP as a quick viewer, and digiKam as a DAM.
    And I develop with RawTherapee.
    All are free.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    DXO Mark

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Faststone Image Veiwer for viewing and quick edits. And it's free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Yep, same here. Great program! Did he mention it is free? ;) :2thumbs:

8. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

I usually just use Bridge, but that's because I have an Adobe Subscription already for Photoshop/Lightroom and what not for school.

Otherwise what PacNWMike said.

9. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

what hardware platform are you using?

10. FredUK

FredUK Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. On Apple OSX there is Media Pro (commercial), or FileLoupe, or DXO, ...

12. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

I've been using ON1 Photo10's Browse mode to cull photos and in a short time ON1 PhotoRaw will be released... looking forward to that one. Affinity Photo is a wonderful Raw editing program too... both very reasonable and sans subscription.

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I use this as well. FastStone works, too, but FRV actually respects my monitor color profile (wide gamut). I don't understand how this (and others) can be so fast while LR falls behind on this. I don't want to have to generate previews to quickly cull.

edit: also, FRV ratings translate over to LR, this has proved useful to me as well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  14. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    FastStone can do that too. Go into Settings (F12), CMS tab, and turn it on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I have fastStone, bridge, LR, FRV, on1 and probably many more that I am not thinking of right now.

For me, if the task is culling prior to importing, I would strongly recommend at least taking a look at FastRawViewer. It has an intuitive interface, it shows me the key information I need, has hot keys for everything and is much faster than any of those other tools I mentioned.

16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    In Mac OS you don't need anything to do what the original poster is asking. You can view the thumbnails or even preview the full photo of Oly RAW files directly. It is built into the OS.

17. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

Faststone.. in its default view it only shows the embedded low resolution raw file and it is very very fast. if you want to see the actual raw file, hit A on your keyboard and it loads the actual raw file.. it works with pl1, pm2, e-m5, gx7, nex and a7 system raw files pretty good in this way, it is fast and deep when needed. And, when I press E it loads the lightroom with the purpose of importing and editing images on that folder (I set Lightroom as the external default editor, you can set your favorite).

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This does not work for me. Everything is still oversaturated. It says it only applies to embedded profiles for jpegs and tiff? I shoot in sRGB on the camera as well, but not sure if that makes any difference. And yes, restarted the app.

If I change the raw preview setting to "actual" it works, but is now no faster than lightroom.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it's showing the JPEG preview embedded in the RAW file... You might try reducing the saturation in the camera's settings; that would improve your preview without affecting the RAW data.

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    eh, I'll take FRV instead since it'll also double for rating. FastStone could just unilaterally apply color management to untagged images.