1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stacking Lens Adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RedNumber5, Nov 24, 2012.

1. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I've never tried stacking 2 lens adapters before and I was wondering if anyone here has done it with their m4/3 camera. I've got some Bronica ETRS lenses, the 40mm, 75mm and 150mm and right now Fotodiox has a 25% off sale for this weekend by entering in a discount code. Well I was thinking of getting the ETRS-EOS lens adapter and then getting an EOS-m4/3 adapter to use the lenses.

I just wonder if it would be worth it since I'll be paying for both adapters and also if using the ETRS lenses would get me anything that I don't get right now for my other adapted lenses, most of them being Canon FD and some M42 lenses. Plus wouldn't be the crop factor be more than 2X since these are of course medium format lenses.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It will work, but with caveats. Fotodiox are cheap adapters. On their own, that's usually fine. But each one is slightly too short (to guarantee infinity focus), so the lens will focus farther and farther past infinity as you stack them. There will also be increasing amounts of play in the mount.

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    +1 on what Promit said about the adapters. There are also Bronica -> Nikon F adapters available from China/HK, supplement that with a very cheap Nikon F -> µ4/3 adapter and you won't be set back that much.

You get something extra if your Bronica lenses offer focal lengths you don't get from your other lenses. Probably stating the obvious and excuse me if I treat you like a newbie, but you have to look at the focal length per se, no multiplying with crop factors or whatever. So if you have a 75mm Bronica lens that might be a nice extra, that isn't a common focal length for the 35mm film format.

The crop factor is indeed larger, but this is completely irrelevant here IMHO. You have other adapted lenses so you have a general idea of what a focal length does on your µ4/3 camera, so there's probably no need to "translate" from 6x4.5cm to µ4/3. A 75mm Bronica lens gives you the same field-of-view on µ4/3 as the Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm, and depth-of-field is the same at the same f-number on each lens.

The Bronica ETRS lenses were designed to cover a 6x4.5cm area, which is much larger than the µ4/3 sensor (17.3x13mm) so the lens designer had to make compromises to obtain an acceptable resolution across this area. This probably means that centre resolution (where the µ4/3 sensor is) isn't as high as you'd want. That said, you will only really know by trying out for yourself or relying on experiences from others.

4. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Thanks for the replies. Focusing beyond infinity once one thing I didn't think about. I'd likely buy the Bronica/EOS adapter than the Nikon since I have some EOS film cameras. Of course the problem then becomes since there isn't a split prism viewfinder on those EOS bodies, focusing will not be as precise so the picture might not be as sharp as it could be. I have the 35mm back for the ETRS so if I wanted to use 35mm film I'll have that option. The only advantage to using it on the EOS bodies was to get faster shutter speed for higher ISO films since the ETRS is limited to 1/500.

At this point I'm still debating whether to buy the adapters or not. I'd probably be better off saving my money for a native m4/3 lens like the Olympus 45mm/75mm f/1.8.