1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stacking filters on the 12-40mm - vignetting?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TassieFig, Mar 12, 2016.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have a Haida 10-stop ND filter and plan to add another ND + a CP filter to my arsenal.

Does stacking the two ND filters cause any vignetting @12mm?

Does stacking one or both NDs with the CP cause vignetting? If so, could I avoid it with a larger CP, eg 67mm (plus, of course,a step-up ring)?

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Test for yourself. Without the filters, zoom full wide and take a photo of a uniformly lit subject like a gray or white wall. Add your various filter combinations and do the same thing again. Now in LR or other editor, measure the pixel brightness values in the corners versus those in the center. Even the no-filter shots will show some falloff. If there is more falloff with one or more of your filter combinations, then you just have to decide whether it is acceptable or not.

If you don't have the filters you can really only guess. My guess, after doing similar testing myself, is that you'll have to use a step-up ring and bigger filters to avoid vignetting at 12mm.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I didn't do any formal testing as oldracer suggests, but just a little offhand testing and I've not seen any vignetting in stacking two filters on my 12-40 at 12mm. Just remember to take off any clear/protective filter that might be there already. :)

I was using a Hoya Pro1 CPL stacked on a Hoya PROND -- both are relatively thin filters, so your results may vary depending on the individual filters you're choosing.

I do need to actually sit down and formally test the combo through, so don't take my word as gospel on the matter.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks guys. Not sure what to do. I don't mind a little vignetting that can be fixed in pp. So, the 2 thin NDs shouldn't be a problem and if I do use both NDs + CPL there might be a bit more but then to add an adapter means yet another thing to fiddle with...

Nah, I think I'll go with the same size for all.