1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Stacking 2 ND Filters on Panasonic 100-300

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ijm5012, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So yesterday was the first chance I had this year to shoot some moving subjects with my Panasonic 100-300, which I acquired over winter. I went to the local auto-cross event, since I love cars, and wanted to practice with some panning of the 100-300 on my G6, paired with my Sirui monopod. I was shooting perpendicular to the cars, from about 90°, so I was shooting in shutter priority with a shutter speed of about 1/160th of a second, to capture some motion blur while panning. My problem was that because of the bright conditions and the shutter speed I was shooting at, the camera was using a very small aperture (in the range of f/16-22), which can affect sharpness of the image due to diffraction.

In order to shoot at a wider aperture, I'm looking to pick up an ND filter for the lens. However I'm not certain if one ND filter will be enough (I'm currently looking at a 3 stop, 0.9 filter), and I'm curious if I'll run in to any vignetting issues if I stack two filters on top of one another?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I could also shoot in manual (base ISO, largest aperture setting at the given focal length, and my desired shutter speed). This would slightly over-expose the image, but I could dial in some negative exposure compensation to account for the larger aperture. Would this be a more desirable approach for retaining sharpness/detail, compared to stacking two filters in front of the lens?

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    There are more than 3 stop filters out there. I doubt vignetting would occur on that lens, but more flare than needed with stacked filters is possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.