1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

St. Peter, Pirton

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Moosh, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Moosh

Moosh Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Worcester
    Hello all

It's been a while since I last posted. But since then, I finished the Starting Photography course and started and finished the Continuing Photography Course (held at the Worcester College of Technology).

I thought I'd share the final photo I took for the course.

St. Peter, Pirton - Meta

4767043567_1f4f04eafd_b.

It's a stack of 50, 30 second exposures taken on the night of the Longest Day (not the best night to take a night shot :biggrin:).

Anyway, all comments (critical or otherwise) are welcome! :thumbup:

Cheers
    Moosh

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Congratulations Moosh, the spotlights on the church are interesting, how did you create those?

I hope you will join us in our new Members Only forum to explore Expressive Travel Photography - it's really getting a lot of enthusiasm.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Excellent work ! Thanks for sharing with us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moosh

Moosh Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Worcester
    Hi Brian

I borrowed a friend's 1 million candle torch and for one of the exposures "painted" the church.

I used Startrails (Startrails application) to combine the images together. I think the way it works if that it pulls through the brightest pixel from each frame and then combines the result. Therefore only one frame is required of the church to be illuminated.

I'll have a ganders in the Expressive Travel Photography forum. :thumbup:

Cheers
    Moosh

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Wow, from the looks of and descriptions of your photo you certainly learned quite a bit!

Were those bright little lines of light stars or rain or ? brought out that way due to the length of the exposure?

It's a very interesting image, and somewhat scarily gothic looking, too. I like it, Moosh.:cool:

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I think they're star trails BB - multiple stacked 30 second exposures.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moosh

Moosh Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Worcester
    As Brian has said, they're stars.

I had to find somewhere that had no street lighting to pull this off. It's amazing how much light pollution is out there!

The stars "rotate" around the North Star and I located that using the Big Dipper as a reference. Now that may sound technical but I had help...

I happened to be watching an episode of Peppa Pig and that explained it (YouTube - Peppa Pig - Stars). :rofl:

I've bought a cheap intervalometer (Timer Remote control for Panasonic DMW-RSL1 DMC-GH1 G1 on eBay (end time 12-Jul-10 17:46:58 BST)) and set it to take 50, 30 second exposures with a one second gap between exposures.

If you do want to do this (which is very easy to do), take a torch, a spare battery or two and a good book with you otherwise it can get very boring listening to the camera clicking away! :biggrin:

Cheers
    Moosh

PS: Brian, every time I see your avatar I keep on thinking it's a sniper in the long grass! :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Moosh and I particularly thank you for that link to Peppa Pig.:biggrin::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1