1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

St. Bonifatius Church, Heidelberg

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian G, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    With having to make a follow-up trip to Heidelberg, I had another opportunity to explore local churches. With the holidays passed, many were not as accessible (or had lights on), this one being the exception. 7 exposures on tripod.

This was the first time I'd tried to use the level indicators in the GH3, and I probably could have done better, as all images needed a very small amount of perspective correction. I can't say whether the level indicators have a bit of margin for error, or I do - most likely the latter!

Brian

8557262908_2f2232ea11_b.
    St Bonifatius Church by Blueshound250, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Great framing and a nice, light touch on the HDR. Nicely done. Shots like this really make me pine for a good shift lens for :43:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Beautiful and the HDR is perfectly subtle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Brian, thanks for the photo and I can confirm that the level indicator is not perfect. I do a lot of these shots (documenting our visits to German churches) and they almost always need a level correction.

Think I might get one of those spirit levels that fit in the hot shoe ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks to all for the comments. As regards using the level indicators, I feel that I'll be better off going back to assessing framing including level by eye, but I will check the indicators as well, just not rely on them on an absolute basis.

Nice to have options, though.

Brian

6. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Excellent framing and processing. Seeing this reminds me that I want to find some nice churches to do the same thing. The Sistine Chapel would be fantastic, but I think it might be pretty hard to get in there. If you ever get that one be sure and post it too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely beautiful! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The Sistine Chapel isn't that hard to get into as long as they're not using it to try to pick a new pope that day and as long as you don't mind standing in line. Now getting into it without a horde of people around is going to be a LOT more difficult.

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    They are not always that great either, neither the actual level/fitting of the hot shoe/guide rails !!