St. Bonifatius Church, Heidelberg

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian G, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    With having to make a follow-up trip to Heidelberg, I had another opportunity to explore local churches. With the holidays passed, many were not as accessible (or had lights on), this one being the exception. 7 exposures on tripod.

This was the first time I'd tried to use the level indicators in the GH3, and I probably could have done better, as all images needed a very small amount of perspective correction. I can't say whether the level indicators have a bit of margin for error, or I do - most likely the latter!

Brian

8557262908_2f2232ea11_b.jpg
    St Bonifatius Church by Blueshound250, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Great framing and a nice, light touch on the HDR. Nicely done. Shots like this really make me pine for a good shift lens for :43:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Beautiful and the HDR is perfectly subtle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Brian, thanks for the photo and I can confirm that the level indicator is not perfect. I do a lot of these shots (documenting our visits to German churches) and they almost always need a level correction.

Think I might get one of those spirit levels that fit in the hot shoe ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks to all for the comments. As regards using the level indicators, I feel that I'll be better off going back to assessing framing including level by eye, but I will check the indicators as well, just not rely on them on an absolute basis.

Nice to have options, though.

Brian

6. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Excellent framing and processing. Seeing this reminds me that I want to find some nice churches to do the same thing. The Sistine Chapel would be fantastic, but I think it might be pretty hard to get in there. If you ever get that one be sure and post it too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely beautiful! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The Sistine Chapel isn't that hard to get into as long as they're not using it to try to pick a new pope that day and as long as you don't mind standing in line. Now getting into it without a horde of people around is going to be a LOT more difficult.

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    They are not always that great either, neither the actual level/fitting of the hot shoe/guide rails !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.