SS Officers Sword and NIK Silver Efex Pro

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by digitalandfilm, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Too much grey given the subject matter.
    There should be much deeper blacks if you ask me.
  2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Nothing in the image was black.. I'm keeping true to the original item.
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I really like the PP work, not sure I would actually take a picture of it though. But that is just me.
  4. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I struggled with my response to this picture, which was pretty visceral.

I can't help thinking about who else might have seen this sword, and under what conditions, before it was placed in--where, a museum?

It's difficult for me to discuss or even think about the merits of the photo.
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I find the background detail distracting from the subject. The texture detail is super defined. I realize if this was in a case that you had no way of changing that. Other than that I like to color. The subject matter does not bother me and for those who think this sword was used to kill, it wasn't, it is a dress sword and would only have been worn at super fancy events.
  6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    For me it isn't about the sword itself, it is about the person who wore it.
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Context gives meaning ... and to dreadful and dreary items context plays a huge role. A sword hanging alone has a context that tends to glorify the object (the object is the context). For that sword I think a poor choice ...

A single object needs an obvious context to convey meaning. This particular object screams out for a more developed context.

Of course the intent of the artist plays strongly in such matters. When the artistic intent is part of the message that intent also needs to be conveyed or well hinted - the audience does have to work for it a bit.

To my eyes the context and intent are not clear so one tends to move towards conclusions not beneficial towards the artist - certainly to the work. Even the great ones make blunders.

Naturally, taboo subjects tend to be favored because of the strong emotions evoked ... an artist that plays with fire must be resilient to repeated burning or they quickly move onto more manageable subjects.
  8. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    It's currently in the small arms section of the West Point Museum.

I also posted other shots here:

As this is a dress uniform item, I doubt that anyone was hurt by this sword because it wouldn't have found it's way to any battlefield. Of course, one can't rule out any *use* of the sword.. only speculate.
  9. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011

This sword is an inanimate item, just like the Sig Sauer .45 that I carry.

It's not the tool, but the *end-user* that determine use/misuse.