1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Square filters for mirrorless

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Speedliner, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I have 2 sets of Hitech filters...pretty decent and nice size and no color cast.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've used both Lee and Singh-Ray grads and ND filters with my Cokin P-series holders. Minimal color cast. But lately I've switched to circular ND filters and using the grad filter tool along with HDR techniques in LR rather than the grads. While it's nice to get it right while shooting, the ability to precisely control the gradation in post won me over. Also, carrying my three little 58mm round filters (CP, 6-stop and 10-stop ND) is much easier than the whole kit with several 84mm x 120mm "square" filters, holders, adaptor rings, etc.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Like Bassman I tend to do my gradient filter effects in post. Having found that the filters rarely match the transitions required.
    I'm really unimpressed with the results shown in the link, where there is a large band of bright sky in all of them severely detracting from the image, yet the darker parts of the sky have little or no interest. These result show exactly why I gave up on ND grads!

Whilst some mirrorless lenses are smaller than DSLR ones, I generally don't see a need for a different set of filters. Especially as the filter size of my kit lenses for both DSLR & ยต4/3 is actually the same (52mm) so switching to smaller format filters wouldn't make any sence.

He doesn't mention the advantages of EVFs where little visible light gets through the filter (I can see to frame images through IR filters thanks to the EVF) other than that there's really no difference in how filters work for mirrorless than DSLRs and otherr cameras.

5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I have hitec filters and am not that impressed. The images don't seem very sharp to me. I also tried a circular ND 3 B&W filter that I like. The image comes out nice and sharp.

6. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    I have just got myself the Hitech 67 mm square filter kit consisting of 52 and 46 mm adapter rings, 0.6 soft grad, 0.9 reverse grad and 1.2 hard grad along with a fire crest 2.7 ND filter. I just replaced the old non Fircrest 2.7 ND with a firecrest one coz the old one had a pretty strong color cast. Not much of a cast on the grads though. In Germany prices are cheaper that GB and that's the reason I got them over the Lee system. Pretty happy with them so far but I think my Haida system for my FF has better IQ except for the Firecrests.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  7. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    An update for my Hitech 67mm square filters. I see quite a bit of magenta color cast on the 1.2 Grad filter. I did some long exposures using my B+W 10 stop and Haida 6 stop circular filters plus the square 1.2 grad. I had to remove the some magenta cast to make the image work. I think I will be replacing them with firecrest grads soon.