1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Spring field work with the 12-50 IMAGE THREAD

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cdecurtis, Mar 26, 2013.

1. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    I typically like a high quality to pro quality lense for field work but decided, based on the amount of field gear I would be taking turns lugging over 100's of miles of transects in an upper Piedmont region, that less is better. As it was, I think I shredded both knees. Leaf covered holes while being unbalanced with heavy weight high on back is not a good combo. Technical issues included having no idea how to use macro on 12-50, shaking hands from fatigue, no monopod or tripod, too dark for manual focus (for my eyes in any case), etc. All of that said, the 12-50 is a remarkably underrated, good deal that takes a lot of heat for ??? No, it is not a dedicated macro or wide angle but it surely saved me some weight and stress from having to change lenses in misty and "dirty" conditions.

Here are some of the shots:

frog1a.

decaya.

Slimy2a.

wormsnakea.

utclarksa.

Eggs1a.

Clarksa.

Clarks5a.

FungiLichensa.

Slimy1b.

wooda.

2. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    Also, regarding macro on the 12-50

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I press the macro button and move the focusing zoom collar forward but I see no change. Apologies ahead of time if this is just my idiocy.

3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Hold macro button and simultaneously push zoom ring forward. Then look in the little window and MACRO should be displayed. You will then find you are at 43mm and f6 - and can focus very close.
    If if fails then your lens seems defective.
    M

4. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    Thanks

Of course, it is that simple.

5. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    Moving a thread question

How do I move this thread to a more appropriate area? EM-5 or 12-50?

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well done cdecurtis! You've whetted my appetite for the 12-50. Nice images.

7. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    Thanks

Still learning my way around the 12-50. The weather sealing was necessary and have me confident that this purchase was the best decision I have made in a long while.

As for the photos....right place, right time.

8. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Thank you. I've had the camera and kit lens a few months but have no experience of a micro system camera before and haven't got round to reading the manual or book yet. So just been using it as a point and shoot on auto so far.

9. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    What a great set!