Spring/Fall Shooting Spree...anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Mar 14, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm planning to start a new "photo-a-Day" shooting challenge in the spirit of the [thread=28974]Summer of Pictures[/thread] that Kevin Dixey (a.k.a. dixeyk) spearheaded last year. In participating last summer I found that it was a fun way to challenge myself to carry my camera with me and try to shoot more. I'm curious if anyone else is interested in participating?

The idea is that this would run from the first day of Spring/Fall, March 20th (next Wednesday) through the last weekend of May, which is Memorial Day weekend here in the US and the traditional start of summer. Obviously our friends in the southern hemisphere are encouraged to participate as well -- it will be fun to get a mix of spring and autumn images.

This will work the same way that Kevin set it up last year, with the only "rules" being:

1. Try and create at least one picture a day, which is harder than you might imagine. If you miss a day just get right back on the horse and post the next day -- no one is monitoring you.
    2. Post to a Spring/Fall Shooting Spree thread that I'll open on the 20th
    3. Have fun

The only other "rules" I would add is to try to limit yourself to sharing only a single image each day. Again, no one's going to enforce this, but I think limiting it to one shot can help to develop editing skills. Also, shots taken with :43: is encouraged (given the audience of this site), although the occasional image shot with another system you're using is fine, too.

This is not a competition, but just a fun way to nudge ourselves to get out there and shoot and share images. Also, no one should feel coerced to share an image each day -- drop-in participation is welcome.

So who's in?

• Like Like x 2
  2. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Any interest from the evening (at least it is where I am) crew?

3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I'll be posting. I already try to take a photo every day, although in the winter it gets difficult to keep up. Spring is much easier and I'm looking forward to it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I'm in! This'll be fun.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Sure, I'm in. I need a kick in the butt to start shooting more anyway :smile:

EDIT: Oh, and I can't promise I'll post all m4/3 images for this... but I'll do my best to post more m4/3 than not, at least :biggrin:

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As many cameras and systems as you have, Jay, it would be more than full time job to try to take a picture a day with every one. In fact, an X100S probably showed up on your doorstep since I started typing this reply -- better go check the porch. :wink:

Like the "rules" state, using :43: is a suggestion, but not an absolute mandate.

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    :redface: -> guilty as charged :rolleyes:

EDIT: and no, no X100S today hahaha

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    We're at T-minus two days to the start of this "challenge". I want to thank those of you who've shown interest. I'll open the thread on Wednesday morning.

Also, if anyone has a better title than "Spring/Fall Shooting Spree", I'm all ears. I want something that recognizes the global nature of the forum (so that it's not just a northern hemisphere centric spring thing), but I'm having a hard time coming up with something creative that incorporates both seasons. I'm also not in love with the connotation that "shooting sprees has.

9. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    would that be posting 1 picture SOOC or edited (or both?) i haven't had much practice with PP yet so mine would be OOC...

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's basically anything goes. When we did this last summer some posted SOOC while others applied lots of post-processing to some shots. The idea is just to get out there and shoot. I found that making an effort to shoot every day helped me push my boundaries. I also drew inspiration from the shots that others shared.

11. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Spring Snaps Spree
    Solstice Shots
    Seasonal Shoot
    A Season of Snaps

• Like Like x 1
  12. kristan

kristan New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2013
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Love this idea! I'm in!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've opened the thread. Please feel free to share your photos starting whenever the equinox (March 20) arrives in your neck of the woods.

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for the suggestions, Jay. I decided to go with "Spring Snaps/ Fall Fotos"

• Like Like x 1