Spring Bloom: Tokyo & Joshua Tree NP

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Some quick business travel this past week to Japan and Palm Springs gave rise to some photo opportunities on the side, first with the cherry tree blossoms in peak form around Tokyo, followed by the Super Bloom that has covered much of Southern California following a winter of copious amounts of rainfall.

To my surprise, the cherry trees in Tokyo bloomed ahead of Osaka this year, so a quick detour north before my flight home allowed me to spend a day visiting some of the parks and gardens renowned for the different sakura species. For those familiar, I visited Chidorigafuchi Green Way, Rikugien Gardens, Shinjuku Gyoen, and the Imperial Palace. All photos were taken with the Lumix G9 and Olympus 12-100 combination.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The trip to Joshua Tree National Park was much more rushed, as I had just 4 hours to locate the wild flowers, get my images, and make it back to Palm Springs for a business dinner. Fortunately, the weather was brilliant for this rare super bloom (occurs once every 15 years or so), and I found plenty of wild flowers along the highway in the Hot Desert Spring area with snow-capped Mount San Jacinto (the one that Peter Gabriel sang about) in the background. Then off to Joshua Tree National Park (the one U2 dedicated an album to), where just inside the park entrance at 29 Palms, I found the desert floor literally covered in several species of wild flowers and some neat cacti. Luckily, the crowds were sparse, so I could run and gun. I only wished that I could have stayed for the golden hour, but what a treat it was!

Last edited:

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A very nice set of images.
Very nice set. I need to head south this weekend and see what the northeastern tip of the Mohave is doing.
Thank you. The Super Bloom this year can apparently be seen from space. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/california-super-bloom-space-trnd/index.html

Here's a ground level view at Lake Elsinore.

The amazing part is how these otherwise delicate flowers bloom in such a harsh, sandy environment. Now seems to be the peak before the hot weather arrives. I was at Anza Borrego National Park in early March, and the flowers were just beginning to bloom.

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now that's what I call a juxtaposition.
Good point! In the fog of jet lag, it hadn't occurred to me that on many levels, the two series are so alike, yet so dissimilar. For the Tokyo series, I tried to focus on the trees without taking in the forest of buildings that surrounded the garden oasis. Here are two images that represent the urban versus desert landscape. As you can see, the cherry trees in Tokyo were everywhere.

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wow! With so many postings of brilliant images by fellow members, I’m honored and humbled to have this featured on the front page. It will encourage me to get out even more to further hone my craft and appreciate the world around us. Thank you everyone for your kind words and feedback.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
Great series. thanks for sharing. Don't think I will ever get to either place so I appreciate being "there" through your photos.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom