Spot metering on single AF point

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
In the Panasonics, AFAIK, it is already this way. But a lot of Olympus cameras only spot meter in the center of the frame. By memory, only the Pen F, E-M1 MK II (maybe) and III, E-M1X and the E-M5 MK III have an option in the meus to tie the AF point to the spot meter.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
On the E-M1 Mark III it’s:

Menu ➡ ⚙ ➡ E3 Exp/ISO/BULB/[metering icon] ➡ [-:-] Spot Metering

Then select for which spot modes you want to use the focal point (rather than centre) for metering.

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
And for completeness, I don’t think it’s an available option for the E-M5 Mark I or II, or any of the E-M10 or Pen E-P/PM/L models.
It is available on the EM5 mkii. I forget how to activate it (probably similar to other Olympus cameras), but I use it all the time.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Of course just to remind people, this is what the AEF/AFL button was originally meant to be used for. In case your particular model doesn't have the feature of linking the AE point to the AF point, you can always use that button (if you haven't reassigned it to be something else that is).

Of course just to remind people, this is what the AEF/AFL button was originally meant to be used for. In case your particular model doesn't have the feature of linking the AE point to the AF point, you can always use that button (if you haven't reassigned it to be something else that is).
Not sure I understand how this is equivalent, unless you are talking about meter and recompise? (Like how we all used to focus and recompose back before we had so many focus points and a understanding of field curvature)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yes, I think that is what he means - you shift the center point of the camera over to where you want to focus and take a light reading, half-press and then press the AEF/AFL button to hold those settings. You then recompose and take the shot(s). I use this technique a lot with over-lapping panorama shots. This is very similar to being able to have the light reading in sync with a moved focus point with that more modern ability.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
you shift the center point of the camera over to where you want to focus and take a light reading, half-press and then press the AEF/AFL button to hold those settings.
Right. But do you even need to half press the shutter button? Can you simply aim the camera at the area whose exposure you want to lock then press and hold the AEL/AFL button with your thumb to hold the exposure?

Also to add, I believe there is an option to make that button a toggle rather than press & hold, so you can aim the camera at the desired exposure, tap that button, the exposure will lock and the display will show a "AEL" icon to indicate that an exposure has been locked in. You can then take your photo or tap the button again to unlock the exposure setting.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Also to add, I believe there is an option to make that button a toggle rather than press & hold, so you can aim the camera at the desired exposure, tap that button, the exposure will lock and the display will show a "AEL" icon to indicate that an exposure has been locked in. You can then take your photo or tap the button again to unlock the exposure setting.
The default is the toggle, I think, at least it is on the E-M10s. You need it to stay locked if you want to take a series of photos (as I do with panos), and I have always just used it on my E-M10.2 and .2 that way. When I want to cancel it, I just push the button again, as you say. Also, you are right, for the exposure, you don't need to half-press. If you also want focus lock, you have to, of course (as I do with panos).

Some systems do not lock it, like Canon, if I remember correctly - it cancels after one shot, which has always seemed really strange to me and a PITA to use (i.e. a vise-like grip!).

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I’ve looked through the manual and couldn’t find it. Happy to be proved wrong though.
Devilishly difficult to find in the E-M5.3 manual (harder than on the camera!!), but I did finally find it. In the ii manual you could try repeatedly searching on "Exp/ISO/BULB" till you reach the page with the E3 gear (it's on p.170 in the iii manual, so it might be in that area of the ii manual ). If we don't hear from you after this, we'll know you finally had that menu-driven nervous breakdown...

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Devilishly difficult to find in the E-M5.3 manual (harder than on the camera!!), but I did finally find it. In the ii manual you could try repeatedly searching on "Exp/ISO/BULB" till you reach the page with the E3 gear (it's on p.170 in the iii manual, so it might be in that area of the ii manual ). If we don't hear from you after this, we'll know you finally had that menu-driven nervous breakdown...
Like I said:
I’ve looked through the manual and couldn’t find it.
I’m a parent of two young kids in lockdown. It’s going to take more than the Oly menu system to break me.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Hmmm, if it's not in the manual, that kind of implies it isn't available (although @Photon says he uses it), I would think. Have you checked gear E3 on the camera itself? That's where it would be if it were anywhere, one would think.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I downloaded the manual and part of the problem, I think, is that the manual is really poor (worse than the Mark III). There seems to be a lot missing from it, so I guess you cannot know anything about this from its absence from the manual. That IS a pretty old model, however, so I do wonder...

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Ha, you were right @RAH, it can be done with the E-M5 Mark III, it was added in FW3.0.

I don’t currently have this body so could only work it out by scouring the manual and it’s there in the firmware updates addendum (at the rear of the manual rather in the main section describing menu functions).

Activated in menu location as the PEN-F:

Menu ➡ ⚙ ➡ E Exp/[metering icon]/ISO ➡[•••] Spot Metering

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom