Sports video questions

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
So after a long hiatus from shooting, I was really excited that there will be a high school lacrosse season and was planning on using that as an for getting a E-M1.3. However, the team has asked me to be their official videographer. Something new for me to try. Having not done this before, I am hoping that I can pick up some good advice before I go out to shoot my first game on on Wednesday.

This is a fairly good high school varsity team (they have won their local division 3 out the last 4 years), so fast action is expected. The games start at 6pm and the 2nd half is typically played in the lights. Sun will be setting behind me on the home field bleachers, so that should not be an issue, but would love to get thoughts on how to position when the team is away.

Here are some of the questions I trying to answer:
  1. M43 or should I get a video camera?
  2. Will my current gear suffice or do I need to get something different (gear list is in my signature)?
  3. I presume that I will be shooting from top of the bleachers. Any thoughts?
  4. Etiquette for away games. I have typically just shot stills and do it from the sidelines. Should I be doing something different?
As always, looking to this awesome community for help and guidance

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan B
So after a long hiatus from shooting, I was really excited that there will be a high school lacrosse season and was planning on using that as an for getting a E-M1.3. However, the team has asked me to be their official videographer. Something new for me to try. Having not done this before, I am hoping that I can pick up some good advice before I go out to shoot my first game on on Wednesday.

This is a fairly good high school varsity team (they have won their local division 3 out the last 4 years), so fast action is expected. The games start at 6pm and the 2nd half is typically played in the lights. Sun will be setting behind me on the home field bleachers, so that should not be an issue, but would love to get thoughts on how to position when the team is away.

2. Will my current gear suffice or do I need to get something different (gear list is in my signature)?
  4. Etiquette for away games. I have typically just shot stills and do it from the sidelines. Should I be doing something different?
As always, looking to this awesome community for help and guidance
1. actually, m43 cameras quite capable to make a grade A movie. 75% of my paid video work was shoot with m43 cameras and never with olympus. normally gh5, twice with g85, and just once with gh4, gh5s, and that black magic camera.

2. i dunno about em10 and em1, but i do have pen f. and frankly, the video quality is quite ok, only for fun project(s). for something like professional or paid work, i would never ever think to use it. but you could still test it by yourself though. like, shoot something and then look, is it good? then edit and grade it, is it still acceptable enough?
for the lens, i never really using any af feature of any lenses for my video work, and i really despise the focus by wire and non linear focus lens for my video work. so, i can't give any comment for your m43 lenses. the only native m43 lens i quite like (have use it for work, extensively) is panasonic 10-25mm f1.7.

3 and 4. i've never did something like that, but had been a camera operator for some match (futsal, volleyball, and badminton). and for that, i always pick the undisturbed place at the tribune and the most align with the centre of the field or net. and for these work, i used the standard tv camera from my employer.

if you need a better continuous af, then i think em1mk3 is quite good. it has video raw capture, om log (or whatever the name of olympus's log profile). just be ready for handling it while you filming something. oh, and also be sure to check whether it has appropriate time limit or not for your kind of work.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
1) If you are talking about inexpensive "video cameras" not > $1700€ pro camcorders, then the answer is no. Even M4/3 has larger sensor and better low light performance than consumer video cameras which were essentially killed by hybrid ILC:s. If low light video quality becomes an issue, then the only way to go is FF.

I don't know how good lights fields have but you might discover that even f/2.8 is not fast enough. Luckily video still looks good when individual frames are useless. You might have to switch to 20/f1.7 for the second half, though.

2) I had to check that Lacrosse is played on 100m*55m field which is practically identical to soccer so I could recommend Panny-Leica 12-60 which is just enough to cover even distant corners but not any sort of closeups. Oly 12-40 is definitely the lens you will be using and constant f/2.8 will be a great help when shooting under artificial light.

One question is of course for whom are you shooting the video? If it's only for the coach, they usually want to see the whole field at the same time because their main interest is who is where going in what direction at any given moment. 12-40 is perfect for this.

Players, parents and so on will be more interested in seeing their personal achievements which of course calls for closeups and as said even 12-60 will not cut it. 40-150 would be perfect for zooming in when someone is about to score but problem is that 40mm is not wide enough when game is moving on the side where you area located. You'll end up panning and tilting camera violently and still capture only half of players nearby. O40-150 would be perfect if you can locate high ground some 20-30m away.

3) Just try to get as high as possible (not talking about chemical substanses here) and in the center. Even a couple of meters above the ground level will make a huge difference. Note that these ****** aluminium mobile bleachers will transfer every step and foot tapping directly to your camera. These sharps impacts are something that IBIS can't handle. Have something very, very soft attached on/under each tripod leg.

Make sure that you are not very close to field beacuse the last thing you want is having to tilt the camera up and down when players come close. Viewers will get a headache soon. You should be far enough to cover even closest events by zooming out (if using O12-40), without having to tilt the camera. Also just pan left and right as slowly as possible and handle distance by turning the zoom ring. Slowly.

4) Don't know local legislation in the US. I'm the videographer for my kids soccer teams but where I live junior soccer league games are public sports events played on town/county owned fields land so there's no restrictions on sharing videos on Youtube and the other team is usually more than happy to view the video for free. I suppose you could ask the coach/GM of the local team. If they don't have a videographer of their own, sharing your video might be seen as a free service.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom