Sports Photos

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by walt_tbay, Jun 28, 2011.

1. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I spent a few hours this weekend checking out some local sporting events to see how my :43: gear would handle sports photography.

The first was a "wakeboarding" competition held at a local lake. I used my GF1 and Panasonic 100-300mm zoom lens. The competitors were a good distance away and I generally had the zoom set in the 200-300mm part of the range. The second was a BMX bike competition where I used my GF1 with the 14-140mm Panasonic zoom generally set at 14mm because I was able to get relatively close to the action. I don't generally use my VF1 viewfinder, but it was indispensable for framing and following the action at both events. Also, I generally had the camera set on the high burst mode to get multiple shots and as a result I took almost 900 photos!

Overall, although the shots aren't perfect, I was relatively pleased with the results. Here are some examples. Feel free to comment or post your sports photos with tips!

Wakeboard_Competition_-8.

Wakeboard_Competition_-6.

Wakeboard_Competition_-7.

Wakeboard_Competition_-5.

Wakeboard_Competition_-4.

Wakeboard_Competition_-3.

Wakeboard_Competition_-2.

Wakeboard_Competition_.

BMX_Competition_1.

BMX_Competition_-2.

BMX_Competition_-3.

BMX_Competition_-4.

BMX_Competition_-6.

BMX_Competition_-8.

BMX_Competition_-9.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

These guys are getting some serious air.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Nice series Walt... Thanks.

4. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Great shots you've got there!

I shoot alot of skateboarding and find it is pretty much about getting the shutter speed as high as you can. I also don't tend to use continues shooting, and concentrate on getting that exact moment you want to be in the shot, for example the highest point of the trick. I also always like to keep the whole object the are riding in shot, so you know exactly what is happening.

5691114286_8c5b58ba8c_z.
    5645235567_480555c206_z.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Summersault 14-45 Kit - G1

Son in Law - G1 / 14-45 Kit Zoom / Aperture 3

P10201891.

• Like Like x 1
  6. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Indeed! Now the guy without the shirt kept crashing his bike on the other side of the ramp. He stopped doing it after the 5th try because his rear wheel got bent out of shape. I spent a couple of hours at the skate board park watching these guys and was amazed that no one got hurt...

7. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Adam! The BMX competition was at the local skateboard park and there were a large number of skateboarders and quite a few photographers too. Here are a couple of shots of one guy who had a pretty good vantage point.

Skateboard_Competition_.

Skateboard_Competition_-2.

8. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Just like the old days....

Funny, isn't it, how despite all the advances in AF, there's nothing like knowing your subject, understanding the action, and anticipating the peak moments. I guess :43: so-called "disadvantages" in fast-focus and action photography are really a means to keep our photo instincts constantly sharpened.