1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sporting events with 12-50 on EM5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thisisanton, Dec 8, 2013.

1. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was lucky enough to win Laker tickets from my company holiday party. Pretty good seats too. Is the 12-50 mm lens on the EM5 is fast enough for sporting events? And what settings should I put it on?

I also have the Oly 12mm, 25PLmm, Oly 45mm. But I just want to bring one lens with me.

2. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    In my experience that would certainly be pushing it. Unless there is way more light at an NBA match than at the indoor sports events I have experienced, you would need to bump the ISO up in a range that I would rather avoid. I have good experiences with the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 for such events. It is usually a pretty good focal length for the purpose, lets in lots of light, and focuses very fast.

In terms of settings, I would use shutter priority mode (S) to force fast enough shutter speed to freeze action. Also, I configure the auto-iso settings to allow the camera to go to higher ISO than normal if necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  4. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    shooting sports there will be both an optimum aperture (dof) and and a shutter speed that you feel is right for the situation - ISO is simply a mechanism to get the shot

put another way, unwanted motion blur on a noise free shot is a pointless waste of an opportunity

for this reason I shoot M mode with Auto ISO to resolve the exposure unless there are exposure compensation issue inherent in the situation - you will have to adjust some of the default parameters in Menu to permit this; auto ISO in M mode and max out the limits.

now shoot RAW only

45/1.8 everytime - and don't be afraid to use FD AF! I don't know the EM-5 in depth, but I wouldn't be tempted by sequential shooting, just use S-AF and press the shutter when you want the shot! If you are going to spend your time with the camera glued to your eye then you could use a Seq L - C-AF setting but you are really there to enjoy the game and get a few momento shots aren't you?!?

• Like Like x 1
  5. thisisanton

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    This forum is great...Thanks for the advice and prompt responses! The game is tonight. The 45/ 1.8 it is. I'll be enjoying the game but at the same time, I want to get a few good shots in. That 75 mm is nice. Anyone here have one I can borrow for the night? :) (Only kidding...half kidding)

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    A lot will depend on how generous your company is....

If you have courtside or close to courtside seats you should be in with a shout for some fun shots..... on the other hand if you are somewhere in the upper levels or the back rows I would concentrate on getting atmosphere rather than action.

The court itself is well lit.... after all it has to be for the TV coverage

I would sit back and enjoy the game rather than try and compete with Sports Illustrated

K

• Like Like x 1
  7. thisisanton

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just looked it up, lower section 12th row up from the floor. So pretty good...I think. I've never been to an NBA game before. I'll defiantly be watching the game, just wanted a few good momento shots.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you should be good

this is an old shot from about 4 rows back from courtside

shot on a canon g9, if I am interpreting the EXIF right I was at 1/125 at f4 at 800 ISO... Focal length was at 30mm on the G9... which I think would be about 150mm in 35mm terms or 75 on m43

2571321556_4bc2cdd7c5_b.
    Lakers on a G9 by kevinparis, on Flickr

you will have better high ISO and more pixels to crop with, so you should get something

look forward to seeing your shots

K

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Can I request two shots? One of Kobe testing out the achilles, and one of Jack.

The 45/1.8 should be good from 12th row.

Have fun. Those are pricey seats!

10. thisisanton

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, they were pricy. The only way I could have got those was by winning a raffle. Jack wasn't there that night, but I got a few good shots. Also surprised how well the lens preforms.

I'll post the pictures in the EM5 photo thread.