1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sport photography - O75, P35-100, O75-300?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sgreszcz, Nov 9, 2013.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there,

I've mostly been shooting stills and video of family and events using the P25 and O45. I'm wanting to branch out and do some other type of shooting.

I will probably be shooting stills/video 50/50 on my omd em5. (I know supposedly u4/3 isn't supposed to be able to shoot sports, but I got some good results with my old Nikon d40, 3 af points, and the 70-300 lens). Most of the sport will be outdoors, but living in the uk doesn't mean there is a lot of light. I would appreciate some guidance or advise before I go spending more cash :)

O75
    + Sharp enough to crop heavily
    + Better In low light
    - Not as good for video as fixed focal length
    + Bonus portrait lens and indoor sports too?

P35-100
    + Zoom helps if restrained to sidelines also for video
    Could be used for indoor sport?
    + Bonus can be used for event photography
    - most expensive
    - maybe not enough reach?

O75-300
    + best range, zoom
    + could also be used for birding or wildlife
    - slow, need good light
    + not that expensive.

Also, my brother is a World Cup class skeleton racer, an I would love to get some shots of him racing. Could be tough at 140 kmph!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've used the EM5 with the 75mm and 75-300 for my sons rugby (9-10 year olds) with good results. Shooting between 400 and 1600 ISO to keep the shutter speed high and in SAF the focus has been quick enough at those shooting distance to be pretty good. Not good enough for pro work but good enough that I ended up as "team photographer" for all the boys in our team and parents have made some 10x8's from those photos. 90% of my shooting was done on the 75-300.

I don't own the 35-100 so can't comment on that one.

For your brother you'll need to practice your pre-focusing technique and let the motordrive do its thing. You'll need the same kind of shutter speeds they use for F1 racing.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I used the 35-100 for the Rodeo which you can see on my flickr site. I tried the 75-300 but is was a bit shady at the location and I didn't want to push the iso otherwise would have used that.

• Like Like x 1