Spoiler - Olympics Men's Tennis Final

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm a huge Roger Federer fan, but I was pulling for Andy Murray today...

So happy for Andy and all of Great Britain. I think this will help him win at the slams. There's no one I'd rather see as Federer's "heir" in men's tennis today.

Congratulations, Andy Murray!!!

2. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Andy was excellent today, strong in body and mind, controlled and powerful. I really enjoyed watching him play. They need a 3rd game now at Wimbledon to see who the victor really is, its 1 game each now!

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I heard someone say that this Olympics, Murray has been hitting the heaviest ball (taking pace and spin into consideration) out of all players. It's not hard to believe after seeing that performance.

For the first time in decades, I think we have a legitimate "Big 4" who can challenge for slams. Great time to be a tennis fan.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I was pulling for Murray also. Really didn't want to see Fed take him apart the way he did in Wimbledon finals.

What really surprised me with the tennis coverage was the number of DSLRs with big lenses in the stands. I thought I read somewhere how strict the Olympics would be on "pro" photography gear.

5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Shame about the fairly dreadful state of women's tennis though.

Was quite a tense watch, even though he seemed to be running away with it. I kept expecting Federer to suddenly step it up a gear, Murray's form to drop and things to fall apart. Until he broke Federer in the fifth game of the third set, I hadn't really allowed myself to believe it was a done deal. Congratulations to him, I hope his recent experiences make it easier for him the next time he finds himself in a major final.

Until recently I wasn't really sure if the British public had embraced Murray or not. After his emotional loss at Wimbledon and now this though, I think it's fair to say he's won his detractors over. Need proof?

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Lol @ Murrayometer

I was tense for him as well. If Federer had broken back to 5-5 in the third, I would have considered it anyone's match.

Totally agree about women's tennis. Other than Serena, we have women who win a slam and then disappear.

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, a huge well done to Andy, our house was in uproar due to him being a fellow Scot; I think he's come of age now, and will have more confidence in the slams - nothing sweeter than revenge, and what a total thrashing of the best player who's ever graced the court..... :2thumbs:

8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    That Wimbledon was a dream final for me - if Federer won't win, I'd rather it be Murray. And to get the same pair about two weeks after? Fantastic.

I'm with you - I'm a solid Fed fan, but I am happy with the results.

As for women's tennis, can't they get a break? :smile: I admit I am not a big fan of current women's tennis (ever since Henin's beautiful game and heavenly backhand I slowly lost interest), but c'mon - if men's tennis produced a different champion every slam, people point that the talent pool is deep. If that happens to women's tennis, everything is a mess. If men's tennis produces 3-4 slam champions for the last oh, I dunno - 5 years? - we say we are in the golden age of men's tennis. If that happens to women, people say the talent pool is too shallow. They can't win, can they?

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Fair points, Hyubie.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't follow much tennis. I watch it every now and again, but its not my favorite sport to watch. I enjoyed watching the Bryan brothers play the doubles. I also enjoyed Serena getting her gold, but sad that Sharapova didn't compete all that well.

The argument about whether the field is deep or shallow can be made either way. Look at the state of Pro Golf. Lots of different folks winning the majors. Is the rest of the field just mediocre but competitive or is the field just that far behind Tiger when Tiger was in top shape?