split neutral density filters?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pete, Mar 20, 2010.

1. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    anyone using split neutral density filters for landscape shots. Ive been thinking of getting one to try on my panny 20mm. I can get a 46mm stepup filter to 52 then by a cokin adapter....any thoughts on this...and thanks very much.

Pete

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    morning Pete - good points - I'm clueless - so look forwards to the replies

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i want a neutral density filter in the software of my digital camera,

if the computers in these machines can recognise sylvester the cat and expose and focus for his cheshire grin, , then surely it can use an algothrim that can identify a sky\ foreground perimeter and give me a few stops of different exposure ala digital nd filter
    and give me a decently exposed foreground without a blown out sky

im not joking ....grrrrr

• Like Like x 2
  4. badlywornroy

badlywornroy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi Pete,

I have a selection of Cokin P series Graduated Neutral Grey filters that I originally bought to use with my dSLR. When I moved to the G1 I just purchased the 52mm adaptor ring. Now also the owner of a GF1 I purchased the 46mm to 52mm stepup ring. I know some say you can achieve the same end result in image editing but I disagree. The m4/3rds sensor is prone to burning out highlights and you cannot rescue these with editing. With landscape shooting and the huge dynamic range difference between sky and ground I find these filters very useful.

badly

• Like Like x 2
  5. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 2