1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Splash & Dust Proof Lenses.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, May 13, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    I have the 12-50mm M.Zuiko lens with the EM-5 making it splash and dustproof. I'm now hesitant to purchase new lenses because I presume new splash/dustproof lenses will be launched. I really want the big zoom but would be gutted if it was replaced with a new version shortly after.

Am I right to be cautious?

2. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    out of the two, only the 60mm 2.8 macro is weather sealed. the 75mm 1.8 i guess is not. I wouldn't be putting a mindset in waiting for weather sealed lenses in the future as more lenses will be announced without having one. I just bring a trash bag just in case weather conditions are not favorable.

4. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    I thought the same thing when I ordered my OM-D. I figured I would build an all weather sealed kit. Now I own the 45/1.8 and have a 45-175 on the way. Neither are sealed and I will simply keep them in the bag during bad weather.

I will replace one or both of them with sealed variants if/when they become available.

5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    It takes time to wait for Olympus releasing another m4/3 splash and dust proof lens, but if you really need zoom you can always opt for HG and SHG 4/3 lens combine it with MMF-3 you still have weather sealed system, only a bit longer and bigger in lens part. Oh and a bit slow in AF side too.

6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Man speaks the truth, but it's not THAT bad. Don't go shooting a lot of fast action sports with it though.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's not just fast action. Try photographing a person who's walking from 30 feet away...

AF is fine for subjects that don't move, and not fine for anything else.

DH

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    So the answer would depend on what you shoot. But if you limit yourself to the weather sealed glass you'll be missing some of the best lenses out there for the m4/3 system. How often do you have to shoot moving objects in the rain or in a dust storm?