1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Spiratone 135 f2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LegacyLens, May 23, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Does anybody have this lens (or even heard of it) i really am interested on this lens as it has 16 aperture blades! Im sorry for posting so many threads in so little time but I am intrigued by micro 4/3. Thanks in advance

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not familiar with this lens (and couldn't uncover much info on it from a quick search), but as with most legacy optics, your results really depend much more on the specific example of the lens than the model. So, provided the lens is in decent shape (I'd suggest you closely evaluate the aperture blades for both appearance and function) and the glass looks clean, you really have nothing to lose as long as you can buy it cheaply enough -- if you don't like the results you get with it, then you can always resell it.

Spiratone in general is an interesting brand that made some very interesting products. In case you're interested in the history, here's the NYT obit of Mr. Spira (pronounced SPEE-rah).

3. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Aperature blades

Are more aperture blades necessarily better? Please excuse my ignore. I'm not clear about a correlation between blade count and image quality.
    If it's bokeh you are after (just a guess), Ken Rockwell says blade count is not the issue: Bokeh

• Like Like x 1
  4. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Ok well i thought 16 blades would give a helpful shove to circular OOF highlights and creamy sexy bokeh.

5. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I see your point, that more blades should make for rounder bokeh "spots"-- or whatever they call those bits of background shimmer.

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I see the MFT has certainly stimulated your quest for learning. The lens sound beautiful.

I don't know if you saw this in my gallery? Its a large format lens with a FL of 9.5 inches. It has something like 22-25 blades. It's a beautiful to gaze upon and an amazing feat of engineering.

Obviously I wont fabricate an m4/3 adapter for it. It would be huge and too heavy to support on the camera with the materials I'd need to use to fabricate it.

When are you going to post some images in your Gallery?

Wollensak Velostigmat - Mu-43 Gallery