Spiders (and other Arachnids)

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
50473070661_40086bc93e_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
EM124004-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Legend

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These are interesting spiders. I've searched and searched, read the few authentic studies on them and can only concluded that they either have too small of fangs or their temperament makes them much less likely to bite then it's famous cousin in the Latrodectus Genius. Before CD19 I used to do a nature trip with my friend from S. Cal and his area was being invaded by this species. It seems that both their fangs and the size of their venom glands as well as the actual size of the spider means that bites are extremely rare and bites with any kind of reactions beyound the "normal spider bite" are perhaps limited to 1 or 2 which means to me that those folks and that most folks should be glad that this species is out competing L. Hesperus in suburban areas. Nice image.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Sunday Lunch

One Zoropsis spinimana invites another to lunch. I don't think there was a cheese course, or a pudding.

P1340153_HDR.jpeg

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
These are interesting spiders. I've searched and searched, read the few authentic studies on them and can only concluded that they either have too small of fangs or their temperament makes them much less likely to bite then it's famous cousin in the Latrodectus Genius. Before CD19 I used to do a nature trip with my friend from S. Cal and his area was being invaded by this species. It seems that both their fangs and the size of their venom glands as well as the actual size of the spider means that bites are extremely rare and bites with any kind of reactions beyound the "normal spider bite" are perhaps limited to 1 or 2 which means to me that those folks and that most folks should be glad that this species is out competing L. Hesperus in suburban areas. Nice image.
Interesting, I wasn't sure what kind this was. I used to have lots of Cat Face spiders, but I have only found 1 this summer, and no others since 2016. I have plenty of Black Widows though. Also very few daddy long legs, which also used to be very common.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
There haven't been many jumping spiders round the house or garden recently, but one of the girls this morning found this lovely male Marpissa muscosa on her water bottle. It stood still long enough for a couple of shots before colourfully legging it out of sight.

P1340225_HDR (1).jpeg

fraustin

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Austin
Hi all, I'm new here and I just switched from FF (Nikon mirrorless) to M43 for macro work. I'm loving the light-weight and results!

Taken with EM-1 iii; Olympus 60mm; Raynox DRC-250; Godox AD200 Pro

_A170837.jpg

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Hi all, I'm new here and I just switched from FF (Nikon mirrorless) to M43 for macro work. I'm loving the light-weight and results!

Taken with EM-1 iii; Olympus 60mm; Raynox DRC-250; Godox AD200 Pro

View attachment 853867
Hello and welcome to the loneliest thread there is, fraustin! Whereabouts are you from?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I spend a lot of time making sure that the various species of spiders do well on my acre of land. This year it was a banner year for Cross Orb Weavers (who unfortunately live only a year) having identified over 40 webs with female sides and seeing lots of males towards the end of summer. This big female has made a beautiful web for Halloween and does not look like she has laid her eggs yet. Just quick flash image of her this am in dark Oregon.
ORB1.jpg
ORB2.jpg

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
I found this jumping spider with its prey, a fly about as large as the spider!
jumping spider and prey.jpg
jumping spider and prey 2.jpg

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
A very young female Saitis barbipes came up to the kitchen today from the vegetable patch. I did not notice her until I was just about to wash the pumpkin. About 3mm in length. I left the highlights in her eyes deliberately.....

P1340647 copy_HDR2.jpeg

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
One of the resident Zoropsis spinimanas from our garden, hanging upside down under the garden table (photo spun through 180˚). We find a lot of these stunning ground spiders in the house now as the weather cools, and they are great housekeepers. One of them killed a young rat recently, putting the cats to shame. This one is a pugnacious male, about 2" across, hopeful of finding a girlfriend before winter freezes the bits off him.

P1340643_HDR.jpeg

(some of the above may not be entirely true; I was just checking you were awake...:))

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Incidentally, the photo above would never have been possible without a FAS screen. While I appreciate the viewpoints of those who prefer a simpler tilting screen, macro is one case scenario where a FAS screen is essential to some shots. I'm not trying to start a flame war.....just saying there are case situations for both types of screen :)

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I'm wondering if any of our resident Arachnophiles could identify these creatures I found lurking on top of the bus stop in the middle of town.
They were all a good 30cm across and were frightening the living daylights out of any prospective passengers.
I think they may all be of the same species, with just slight colour variations.

2011-22-EM10:3-14:42.jpg
2011-23-EM10:3-14:42.jpg
2011-24-EM10:3-14:42.jpg

This group were hanging on the railings of the old Shire Hall building but didn't seem to be having the same effect.

2011-17-EM10:3-14:42.jpg

Sorry, it's a bit late for Halloween but I couldn't resist posting these samples of "yarn bombing" some of the local crafts-people have decorated the town with in an effort to liven the place up. Hope I didn't frighten too many of you.......................................

2011-15-EM10:3-14:42.jpg

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
My big girl from August 23 (if you fancy going back to look) has done little else since I last took a portrait of her but grow fatter in her outside corner of the kitchen window, and lose a leg in return. I assume sometime along the way she met a gallant suitor who has increased her size fourfold, as she is now close to the biggest Araneus diadematus I have seen here. her abdomen is now about the size of my fourth finger nail. I'm very grateful to her for all the mosquitos she has eaten :)

Alas, she will soon go and find a suitable situation to lay her eggs in, and then, thin and wasted, she will crawl away into a dark corner and die. Such is the life of 99% of Europe's garden spiders. The 1% that hibernate and see out the winter invariably feed the young of the first blue tits to hatch!

P1340913_HDR2.jpeg

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
A recently evicted tenant of my basement. SWMBO has a prejudice against animals with 8 legs, so out came the relocation device (cordless vacuum).

50644989528_0a5142799c_o.jpg
M1026351-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom